Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Schuren
  • 1 Post By Schuren

Thread: engraved Army Special with Ideal Holster Stock

Member #
    Liked
    278 times

Question engraved Army Special with Ideal Holster Stock

When you look in the "Book of Colt Firearms" on Page 342 you will find a picture of an IDEAL holster and shoulder stock combination with the special stock plates to be placed under the grips.
    11 years ago I bought an engraved Army Special with an IDEAL holster in Switzerland. It letters from 1912 and there were 10 engraved Army Specials that went to St. Louis in that batch.
    The bad part is that the barrel has been changed from 4 1/2 to 6 at some time.
    The 6 inch barrel shows the patent date 1926... it is probably an Official Police barrel.
    Rock island Auction sold an Army Special with an Ideal Holster in 2012.

Are there any brothers or sisters out there????
    Peter

P1020321.jpgP1020320.jpgP1020322.jpgP1020325.jpg
    Last edited by Schuren; 02-03-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling...

Member #
    Liked
    2726 times
    Not a Colt, but still a gun from Shapleigh Hardware. My grandfather bought this single shot, bolt action .22 rifle in about 1930. I think it is a Stevens made rifle but it is only marked as a "Shapleigh King Nitro". It's been in the family for close to 100 years and is still in excellent condition. I also have a very large butcher knife (looks more like a machete!) that was ordered at the same time. It is also marked as a Shapleigh item.

IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1271.JPG

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23030 times
    That is nice looking engraving on the Colt!! I have not seen that stock configuration on a Colt before. It reminds me of the Ideal stock that was supplied with some American Eagle Lugers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    That is nice looking engraving on the Colt!! I have not seen that stock configuration on a Colt before. It reminds me of the Ideal stock that was supplied with some American Eagle Lugers.
    You are right. Most of those came with Lugers but there are some for the Army Special and the 1902 Military.
    saintclair likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23030 times
    Since short-barreled guns equipped with buttstocks fall in a tightly government controlled category, we do not see many such guns in the USA. The rules and regulations on ownership of such guns and stocks seem to vary from time to time, so possessing them could lead to conflict with the BATF. Otherwise, I suspect there would be great interest in them in the US.

Member #
    Liked
    15692 times
    A nice, factory engraved Colt. Just an observation, this would be in the Helfricht time period but to me, it doesn't look like his work. At the turn of the century, orders for engraving dropped off to the extent that Helfricht released most or all of his help. Perhaps by 1912 orders were such that he could again employ assistants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    278 times

Question Other engraved Army Specials???

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    A nice, factory engraved Colt. Just an observation, this would be in the Helfricht time period but to me, it doesn't look like his work. At the turn of the century, orders for engraving dropped off to the extent that Helfricht released most or all of his help. Perhaps by 1912 orders were such that he could again employ assistants.
    Rick, It was an order for 10 engraved Army Specials... that does not sound like the master himself started to work....did they all look the same??? There must be some of that batch in collectors hands.

I would be interested to see another engraved Army Special... has anyone got one????
    Last edited by Schuren; 02-04-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional information

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links