US Marked Colt Official Police WWII
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: US Marked Colt Official Police WWII

Member #
    Liked
    180 times

US Marked Colt Official Police WWII

I know. This one absolutely needs a Colt Factory Letter.

I have been able to locate a few examples of the Official Police from the war years. They have the Flaming Bomb on the upper left frame in front of the hammer. And I have read that Pate confirms around 5,000 were supplied by Colt to the DSC that were still in Official Police configuration and serial number range, vs the more expedient parkerized Commando. Many of the blued finish pistols were supplied to Military Law Enforcement, Counterintelligence, the FBI, etc.

I saw a few with CIC stamps on the left side-plate, or US PROPERTY on the grip strap. But none had a gigantic US so prominently displayed as on the following revolver. It appears to have been done with a pantograph router.

I have not been able to confirm any others like it. The mark may be authentic, it may be spurious.

And I know. Get a letter!

More pics to follow.
    hoya74, Mosby, deyomatic and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    If you need to see anything else, let me know.

bczadnm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1348 times
    Wow. Never heard of those. Now I want one. Very nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20779 times
    Having never seen one marked that way leads me to think someone could have had that US added to a commercial OP. I hope it will letter as originally shipped to US Gov't.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1569 times
    The serial 669978 means it was made in later 1941, a year before the Commando even existed.

It's also likely before Pearl Harbor and the beginning of the DSC revolver program. I show an 66x-range serial on an OP 38-200 that shipped to the BPC in June 1941.

Pate's chart of Official Police shipments shows all OPs from those months either going to Radford Ordnance Plant (5" with butt swivels) or Iowa Ordnance Plant (stamped with butt numbers).

Since yours has neither, and the engraving is non-standard in pretty much every way, the authenticity can only be confirmed with a letter. It could well have shipped to some federal agency and the local armorer decided to practice his pantograph skills.

PS: Since this is unlikely to be factory, the letter can actually not really confirm the stamping. But if the gun did go to a federal recipient, at least chances are better that it was not applied later by someone trying to "enhance" the gun's resale value.
    Last edited by Absalom; 04-06-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    I agree a factory letter would be necessary for serious authentication. Having said that, I have seen other US military revolvers with basement workshop quality markings--including one issued to an active duty soldier by his unit arms room, so I wouldn't poo-poo the possibility it is legitimate.

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    I agree that this one is in a serial range which places it within weeks of the US entering the war. And it was made long before the US Army Ordnance Dept assumed oversight of all handgun procurement in early to mid 1942, and the birth of the Commando. So, if it was purchased for the military, it could have been one of the first 2500 ordered by the DSC Executive Committee from Dec 8, 1941.

I will letter this, and get back to you all. I don't have a large investment in it at $475. And even if it doesn't come through as a DSC order, I'll have $550 in a pre-war or early-war Official Police in 90-plus% condition with a spurious marking. It'll be one of the nicest looking vintage shooters out there!

Member #
    Liked
    180 times
    Here's a link to one on this forum with the Flaming Bomb. It is about 53,000 units and a few months later, from early 1942.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...al-police.html

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6451 times
    It's a good looking OP. If it's not original, I would still rather have a nice "US" on the frame instead of someone's auto-penned name or SSN.
    saintclair likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    ..... So, if it was purchased for the military, it could have been one of the first 2500 ordered by the DSC Executive Committee from Dec 8, 1941.
    Because of your wording, just a clarification: It could either be a military order, or it could be a DSC-ordered gun, if it was not yet shipped by December. The DSC handled the distribution of revolvers to all NON-military authorized recipients.
    martin08 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links