• 14 Post By victorio1sw
  • 1 Post By Swag01
  • 1 Post By Chaffee

Thread: Special Order Colt M1878 DA With Carved Ivory Grips 1893

Member #
    Liked
    484 times

Special Order Colt M1878 DA With Carved Ivory Grips 1893

I bought this gun in year 2002, and have done some research on the original owner. The gun letters out as it appears here, but with some slight modifications. In Don Wilkerson's book on the M1878 DA, he said that records show only one of this model as 45/c, Nickel, 7-1/2" barrel, and Carved Ivory grips. So this must be it.

The factory letter is interesting, revealing more than usual. It notes Shipped to Lee, Clarke, Anderson Hardware Co., Omaha, Nebraska "For E. R. Thayer" 45/c, 7-1/2", Nic, Ivory with Carved Ox Head Motif, Apr 13, 1893, 1 Gun.

I suspect that the original owner added a punch-dot fancy "T", which may have been his cattle brand. He may have also added the same to both grips, incised and filled in black. Also someone either changed or replaced the gate thumb screw with a brass pocket watch stem. I've never seen that done before. A neatly-done job, and maybe an improvement to the owner's way of thinking.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 04-12-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3765 times
    Neat.
    interesting how similar that stock brand looks compared to the Y stock brand in the Yellowstone series with Kevin Costner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    I like Kevin Costner's movies, but have never seen that Yellowstone series. Kevin seems to work hard at making his westerns as historically accurate as possible, including the types of guns used.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Very cool. Thanks for showing
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8908 times
    Nice gun and i like that shipping location. I have an 1875, 16xxx SAA shipped to Omaha.
    victorio1sw likes this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    My research on this gun is not yet complete. So far it appears that this Colt belonged to a significant rancher near Greeley, Colo. In 1883 he was a member of the Cheyenne Stock Growers Association. Seeing that his cattle brand matched what is on this revolver would be positive proof. Also being a banker, he may have owned several ranches west of Greeley, in such as Larimer County. In that case, he likely hired some ranch managers to oversee cattle operations on his scattered acreage.

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffee View Post
    Nice gun and i like that shipping location. I have an 1875, 16xxx SAA shipped to Omaha.
    That sounds like a nice early shipment to Omaha!

I view Omaha as a "last place" to buy needed goods during The Westward Expansion. In the beginning it was NYC. By the time of Lewis & Clark, St. Louis was a major location for stocking up on all necessities for the trip west. Later, towns like Kansas City, Cincinnati, and New Orleans would provide needed goods. Of course, only because of the gold rush there, San Francisco jumped ahead and became an important location for jobbers in the 1850's. Others in between CA and KS would soon follow.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links