Like Tree4Likes

Thread: USAAF... Official Police... a bit strange

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWO4USCGRET View Post
    I lean towards Snidley’s answer; bought by someone going to war or for someone already in the Air Corps. At sometime during WWII the Army Air Corps began calling themselves, Air Force. It wasn’t until 1947 that the USAF was created (on paper) since despite the name USAAF they were the USAF.
    The US Army Air Corps officially became the Army Air Forces in mid-1941, so by the time this gun might have entered service, the USAAF was already current.

Given the overall quite nice condition of the gun in terms of very little finish and wood wear, I think it highly unlikely this gun spent four years at war. If the marking should indeed be service-related, it was more likely associated with an Air Force or mixed-use military-industrial facility stateside, which would also fit better with a DSC procurement along the lines of Kevin's post.
    Last edited by Absalom; 04-15-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    The US Army Air Corps officially became the Army Air Forces in mid-1941, so by the time this gun might have entered service, the USAAF was already current.
    The "Wehrmacht" and the British Army marked everything they got - broad arrow and WAA-stamp....(even things they never used). Was it common for arms bought by the US Army not to be marked with some kind of "official" sign like the "flaming bomb"?
    Peter

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuren View Post

Has anyone seen that type of marking on the butt????
    Not me. The OP was never official issue to the Army Air Force, and this marking seems definitely to be an individualistic creation. This type of what I think is crude acid-etching was not very often used; the universal standard, if a roll stamp was not used, were individually die-struck letters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    Not me. The OP was never official issue to the Army Air Force, and this marking seems definitely to be an individualistic creation. This type of what I think is crude acid-etching was not very often used; the universal standard, if a roll stamp was not used, were individually die-struck letters.
    I think it was an electric engraver... usually used when marking tools.

Member #
    Liked
    6928 times
    OK, I'll weigh in. Yes, the US military marked items that were made, on contract for them. A US and flaming bomb usually. Several other acceptance stamps in other places on wood and metal. But items pulled from civilian production, sometimes all-ready at their retail stores, were not always marked with US acceptance stamps.

There is precedence in electric pencil use by the military. When the US entered the war, we did not have enough sniper rifles. Before the first battles at Guadalcanal the military started demanding sniper rifles be sent, quickly. We didn't have any scopes to put on them, the military had forgotten about scopes after the first world war. So the military decided to re-purpose a civilian scope, the Weaver 330. Many were retrieved from hardware and gun stores and sent to Remington where the old 03A3 was being converted to a sniper rifle. They were marked with an electro-pencil with the serial number of the rifle they were put on.
    Last edited by azshot; 04-15-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3358 times
    Could it be that the Revolver was loaded and unloaded quite a bit but not fired very often????

Has anyone seen that type of marking on the butt????
    Back in the late 50s I was a courier in an MI battalion in Germany. I made two courier flights a week and was issued a Colt revolver for the trips, I don't know what model it was because I wasn't into such things in those days. I would go to the arms room the morning of my flight and be issued the Colt and six rounds of ammo, I always carried it loaded of course, when I got back I would return all the stuff to the arms room, so yes that gun was loaded a lot and never fired.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1864 times
    I think it was an electric engraver... usually used when marking tools.
    I don’t agree. Electro-pencilling looks quite different. In your photo, one can actually see the hardened bubbles.
    Last edited by Absalom; 04-15-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    [QUOTE=Absalom;2976755]

I don’t agree. Electro-pencilling looks quite different. In your photo, one can actually see the hardened bubbles.
    This is tricky... I am really not sure... when I look at the real gun on my desk it looks like electro pencilling... and when I look at the picture I have to admit I see those tiny bubbles. I have never seen such a crude acid etching.The 5 letters look to me like someone just wrote them with an electro pencil. I took another picture, please look again. How is acid etching done in such a place?
    Peter
    P1020363.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    12211 times
    The M73B1 scope and mount installed on the 03A4 rifles were not serial numbered to the rifle. The scope did have it's own serial number.

Recusant likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12211 times
    I vote for electro-pencil markings on the revolver, done by a very unskilled operator. The electro pencil was not easy to use as you had to start moving it the moment it drew an arc, and keep moving it with it trying to skate around. The revolver marking shows the typical arc marking as well as the spot where the arc was broken.

Shown below is a 1903 Springfield Armory National Match rifle, which had the bolt serial numbered to the rifle with an electro-pencil. While the operator that applied the serial number was skilled at using the electro-pencil, he still had problems. On each number you can see where he broke the arc by one or several marks left where the arc blew a tiny crater when broken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links