• 6 Post By LowlandScott
  • 1 Post By Absalom
  • 1 Post By skwcoltguy

Thread: .455 Eley 8th Sherwood Foresters

Member #
    Liked
    101 times

.455 Eley 8th Sherwood Foresters

A guy brought a Colt in for an appraisal today at the LGS with an interesting history. Finish isn’t in great condition, but J E Mitchell is mentioned multiple times in the 8th Sherwood Foresters history. Cool relic from 1916

Member #
    Liked
    2889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LowlandScott View Post
    A guy brought a Colt in for an appraisal today at the LGS with an interesting history. Finish isn’t in great condition, but J E Mitchell is mentioned multiple times in the 8th Sherwood Foresters history. Cool relic from 1916
    Would like to see a Colt letter on this one. Factory inscribed, or British?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1930 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Would like to see a Colt letter on this one. Factory inscribed, or British?
    I’m fairly certain we can exclude factory engraving. According to a regimental history of the Sherwood Foresters, 2nd Lt. J.E. Mitchell (highly likely the individual involved here) joined as a Reinforcement Officer in early 1917 (by February), by which time this gun would have long left the factory. So the personalization happened later in Europe.
    victorio1sw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2987 times
    Ah, wasn’t Sherwood Forest the stomping grounds of Robin Hood and his merry band of thieves?
    victorio1sw likes this.
    SKW

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    I’m fairly certain we can exclude factory engraving. According to a regimental history of the Sherwood Foresters, 2nd Lt. J.E. Mitchell (highly likely the individual involved here) joined as a Reinforcement Officer in early 1917 (by February), by which time this gun would have long left the factory. So the personalization happened later in Europe.
    Yep, I really don't have a clue as to the value of the gun with its heritage, just know without it, it would only be in the $800 range. The gentleman inherited the gun along with several others which were brought back from the war by his father. He is just looking to list estimated prices so that his wife or kids would have a clue what as to what they are worth if something were to happen to him.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1594 times
    Looks like the stocks were replaced with WW2 1917 rebuild stocks. Fun caliber to load and shoot once one finds brass.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Any idea how much the history adds to the price? I know that a Sherwood Foresters carbine sold for about 4 times market value a couple months ago, but I cant find a similarly marked revolver to compare this to.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1594 times
    Probably the best you can do is include the research in an auction and start with the minimum you will take. None of us can give you an accurate assessment as it fully depends on the buyer if he feels it adds an interest. If a buyer is related and knows the history of the person and group, he will buy at almost any price. It’s free to list on gunbroker if you don’t have a reserve. You can always start at a higher price and relist at a progressively lower price if it doesn’t spark interest. FWIW, I have a 48 round box of dominion 455 ammunition on GB right now and I have resisted it at the same price at least 4 times. My point is I’ll probably get that price, any lower and I am loosing money on the deal, which I’ll just go shoot them and reload afterwards.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Probably the best you can do is include the research in an auction and start with the minimum you will take. None of us can give you an accurate assessment as it fully depends on the buyer if he feels it adds an interest. If a buyer is related and knows the history of the person and group, he will buy at almost any price. It’s free to list on gunbroker if you don’t have a reserve. You can always start at a higher price and relist at a progressively lower price if it doesn’t spark interest. FWIW, I have a 48 round box of dominion 455 ammunition on GB right now and I have resisted it at the same price at least 4 times. My point is I’ll probably get that price, any lower and I am loosing money on the deal, which I’ll just go shoot them and reload afterwards.
    It's not mine, I just told the gentleman that it has more of a historical value than collector value in my opinion, but that I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at auction for $800 or $2,800..... he isn't going to sell it, he says he is just going to list the price as "Auction" for his wife and kids, along with all the documentation he has found.

Member #
    Liked
    5583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LowlandScott View Post
    Yep, I really don't have a clue as to the value of the gun with its heritage, just know without it, it would only be in the $800 range. The gentleman inherited the gun along with several others which were brought back from the war by his father. He is just looking to list estimated prices so that his wife or kids would have a clue what as to what they are worth if something were to happen to him.
    Just curious - What are the 'other guns'?

And, which 'War'?

Very cool old 'New Service'...and so interesting..!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links