.455 Eley 8th Sherwood Foresters
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By LowlandScott
  • 1 Post By Absalom
  • 1 Post By skwcoltguy

Thread: .455 Eley 8th Sherwood Foresters

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65189
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    80
    Liked
    101 times

    .455 Eley 8th Sherwood Foresters

    A guy brought a Colt in for an appraisal today at the LGS with an interesting history. Finish isn’t in great condition, but J E Mitchell is mentioned multiple times in the 8th Sherwood Foresters history. Cool relic from 1916

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    66711
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,518
    Liked
    2889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LowlandScott View Post
    A guy brought a Colt in for an appraisal today at the LGS with an interesting history. Finish isn’t in great condition, but J E Mitchell is mentioned multiple times in the 8th Sherwood Foresters history. Cool relic from 1916
    Would like to see a Colt letter on this one. Factory inscribed, or British?

  3. #3
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22270
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,520
    Liked
    1930 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    ...
    Would like to see a Colt letter on this one. Factory inscribed, or British?
    I’m fairly certain we can exclude factory engraving. According to a regimental history of the Sherwood Foresters, 2nd Lt. J.E. Mitchell (highly likely the individual involved here) joined as a Reinforcement Officer in early 1917 (by February), by which time this gun would have long left the factory. So the personalization happened later in Europe.
    victorio1sw likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    2995
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,897
    Liked
    2987 times
    Ah, wasn’t Sherwood Forest the stomping grounds of Robin Hood and his merry band of thieves?
    victorio1sw likes this.
    SKW

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65189
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    80
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    I’m fairly certain we can exclude factory engraving. According to a regimental history of the Sherwood Foresters, 2nd Lt. J.E. Mitchell (highly likely the individual involved here) joined as a Reinforcement Officer in early 1917 (by February), by which time this gun would have long left the factory. So the personalization happened later in Europe.
    Yep, I really don't have a clue as to the value of the gun with its heritage, just know without it, it would only be in the $800 range. The gentleman inherited the gun along with several others which were brought back from the war by his father. He is just looking to list estimated prices so that his wife or kids would have a clue what as to what they are worth if something were to happen to him.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    2451
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    5,618
    Liked
    1594 times
    Looks like the stocks were replaced with WW2 1917 rebuild stocks. Fun caliber to load and shoot once one finds brass.

  8. #7
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65189
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    80
    Liked
    101 times
    Any idea how much the history adds to the price? I know that a Sherwood Foresters carbine sold for about 4 times market value a couple months ago, but I cant find a similarly marked revolver to compare this to.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    2451
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    5,618
    Liked
    1594 times
    Probably the best you can do is include the research in an auction and start with the minimum you will take. None of us can give you an accurate assessment as it fully depends on the buyer if he feels it adds an interest. If a buyer is related and knows the history of the person and group, he will buy at almost any price. It’s free to list on gunbroker if you don’t have a reserve. You can always start at a higher price and relist at a progressively lower price if it doesn’t spark interest. FWIW, I have a 48 round box of dominion 455 ammunition on GB right now and I have resisted it at the same price at least 4 times. My point is I’ll probably get that price, any lower and I am loosing money on the deal, which I’ll just go shoot them and reload afterwards.

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65189
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    80
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Probably the best you can do is include the research in an auction and start with the minimum you will take. None of us can give you an accurate assessment as it fully depends on the buyer if he feels it adds an interest. If a buyer is related and knows the history of the person and group, he will buy at almost any price. It’s free to list on gunbroker if you don’t have a reserve. You can always start at a higher price and relist at a progressively lower price if it doesn’t spark interest. FWIW, I have a 48 round box of dominion 455 ammunition on GB right now and I have resisted it at the same price at least 4 times. My point is I’ll probably get that price, any lower and I am loosing money on the deal, which I’ll just go shoot them and reload afterwards.
    It's not mine, I just told the gentleman that it has more of a historical value than collector value in my opinion, but that I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at auction for $800 or $2,800..... he isn't going to sell it, he says he is just going to list the price as "Auction" for his wife and kids, along with all the documentation he has found.

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    10568
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12,837
    Liked
    5583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LowlandScott View Post
    Yep, I really don't have a clue as to the value of the gun with its heritage, just know without it, it would only be in the $800 range. The gentleman inherited the gun along with several others which were brought back from the war by his father. He is just looking to list estimated prices so that his wife or kids would have a clue what as to what they are worth if something were to happen to him.
    Just curious - What are the 'other guns'?

    And, which 'War'?

    Very cool old 'New Service'...and so interesting..!


 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Colt letter/Colt Employee, Sherwood Rogers
    By celse in forum Colt Semiauto Pistols
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
  2. Brit 455 eley.When made ?
    By modoc in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 02:58 AM
  3. .455 Eley Colt N/S Data
    By chumkum in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 04:57 AM
  4. New Service 455 Eley 4.5"
    By guy sajer in forum Colt Revolvers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 06:33 PM
  5. WTS/ Colt New Service .455 Eley
    By LOUISVILLEGUNNER in forum Want to Sell
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 12:19 PM
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.