Acro Site Change-Several Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Acro Site Change-Several Questions

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Acro Site Change-Several Questions

Can anyone recommend a competent person to swap the rear sight on a Python? Is a press used to push out the retainer pin?

Looking for someone in the state of NC preferably. Would it be better to order a new retainer pin rather than reuse the original pin?

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7607 times
    The pin is a roll pin, actually a "spring tension pin", that is pushed out with a small punch. Usually you can re-use the pin.

If you want to do it yourself, it's not hard and here's how.

Buy a .039 or 1/16" pin punch from Brownell's. In a pinch you can cut off a drill bit and use the shank as a punch as long as it properly fits the hole in the frame and sight.

Put the gun on a clean table with the left side up.

Use the punch and a small hammer to tap the pin out from LEFT to RIGHT. You don't have to completely remove the pin, just drive it out until the sight leaf released and moves upward out of the frame cut.

Use a screwdriver to unscrew the elevation screw until it comes off the frame.

IMMEDIATELY wrap some tape around the center of the sight leaf. The cross pin that retains the elevation screw can fall out and release the the elevation screw, loosing the two super tiny balls and the tiny spring.

Also don't lose the two small springs under the sight leaf.

To install...
    Make sure the springs are in the holes on the under side of the sight.

Carefully start the elevation screw into the threaded hole in the frame. Take care not to cross thread it.
    Screw the elevation screw down most of the way.

Assuming you didn't drive the pin all the way out.....
    Press the front of the leaf down into the frame cut and insert the pin punch from the LEFT side to align the holes in the sight and the frame.
    Use a small hammer to gently tap the pin back in place, making sure it properly enters the hole through the sight leaf.
    When the pin is close to flush with the frame, use the pin punch to tap it in until it's centered in the frame holes.

If you want a perfect job buy a roll pin punch from Brownell's this prevents any damage to the roll pin ends.

Done.

If you don't want to do it yourself any competent gunsmith can do this. I don't know of any in your area.
    waltesefalcon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3738 times
    In addition to what dfariswheel said: Put a dab of heavy grease (like bearing grease or whatever you have on hand) in the two spring pockets under the sight, this will hold the springs in place while you're installing the sight. You may also want to buy a roll pin punch for the installation, this will make sure you don't slip and mar the finish on the gun: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekton-1-16...UAAOSw7KJXESI8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the great advice guys.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    What sight are you putting in its place? I’ve changed out to the Eliasson on several of my Colts over the years. I like
    the sight picture. YMMV. Pete

Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm stitching to an Accro flat top. Mine is an early Python and is supposed to have that site. So it is going back to stock.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links