Re barreled Police Positive in 38S&W.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Re barreled Police Positive in 38S&W.

Member #
    Liked
    406 times

Re barreled Police Positive in 38S&W.

A good condition PP for sale but it has been re barreled with no stampings of any kind on the barrel. Given that the PP is fairly plentiful and 38SW is not my favorite caliber I will likely pass but I would like to hear what people's thoughts are on a re barreled gun in general. i assume any collector value is gone. No serial number available sorry.
    $250 US
    Last edited by Brassmonkey; 05-16-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    jeepnut711 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1389 times
    Walk. You can find nice examples of these with markings for the same price or less. I would never be satisfied with it unless I had a barrel laying around to do a swap.
    Brassmonkey and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    The frame is the conducive quality.
    One cannot change the barrel without changing the cylinder too. 38S&W is the bastard cartridge that the Brits went to after abandoning the much better .455 Webley. A truly historic mistake.

The Brits could have adopted the superior American .38Special cartridge, or adopted the better 9mm cartridge. Screwing over the Webley firm, they adopted & produced the stupid 38S&W revolver cartridge at the Enfield gov't factory.

Not only did the Brits go broke after WW1, they followed that folly by disarming in between the war years & then went broke after WW2.
    jeepnut711 likes this.
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    Ha! Yes my entire family are Brits, except myself. Let's call it quirky, their approach to handguns, war and business.
    jeepnut711 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1389 times
    If you have no desire for the caliber, then hold out for police positive special, army special or official police in the common 38 special caliber. Holster worn but shootable examples can be had for $300 or less if your patient.

Some of us have included 38 S&W ( 38 colt new police) examples of Colts in our collections. Colts chambered in this caliber shoot common .358 diameter lead bullets so after getting dies and cases, it’s an easy caliber to load for.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1411 times
    I for one find the .38 New Police/S&W very enjoyable to shoot; much more so than .38 Special in the small, light frame of the Police Positive. But agree that a rebarrelled PP has no real value here. There are literally thousands of shooter-grade PP out there.
    ---
    "Bridgeport?" said I, pointing.
    "Camelot," said he.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman1793 View Post
    One cannot change the barrel without changing the cylinder too. 38S&W is the bastard cartridge that the Brits went to .......
    The .38 S&W is about as American as it gets, and I fail to see what your ill-informed diatribe against the Brits has to do with a re-barreled Colt PP.

Also, where did you come up with the silly idea that you can’t change the barrel without changing the cylinder?

Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    Yes I have an Enfield, a Webley and S&W Hand Ejector all in 38SW. I have dies and good loads for each, so no worries there. It's an excellent point that the lighter load suits the lighter frame too. The point is moot now as someone else bought it snand d removed me from temptation. I would never have been happy with the barrel. It was not a calibre swap, to be clear, just a replacement barrel.

As far as casting aspersions on my homeland there are many reasons and ways to do that. Canadian. Dad British. Mum half French and half Roma, (gypsy) Even other Brits dislike me! Have at it.

Thanks for the comments on the PP and barrel.
    jeepnut711 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    480 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman1793 View Post
    The frame is the conducive quality.
    One cannot change the barrel without changing the cylinder too. 38S&W is the bastard cartridge that the Brits went to after abandoning the much better .455 Webley. A truly historic mistake.

The Brits could have adopted the superior American .38Special cartridge, or adopted the better 9mm cartridge. Screwing over the Webley firm, they adopted & produced the stupid 38S&W revolver cartridge at the Enfield gov't factory.

Not only did the Brits go broke after WW1, they followed that folly by disarming in between the war years & then went broke after WW2.
    Sounds as if we have an an Anglophobe here. The ..38 S&W is not a "Bastard cartridge". It ain't the best man stopper for sure, but I bet there a lot more than a few Axis soldiers sleeping under the sod who found out that 200 grains of lead at 600 fps can take your breath away. I sometimes shoot an Enfield .380/200 (.38 S&W) British service revolver. The Brits designed the gun properly. They sized the gun to the cartridge. Small frame, short cylinder, and best of all, the grip fills your hand with no empty space over your middle finger and the frame behind the trigger guard. It is a natural point and shoot weapon which is exactly what the designers intended. You can "bust" on the British all you want about their guns, ships , tanks, what ever, but you can't cut up their ability to use it all. How many nations can say they have fought interminable wars over several centuries but only lost one major war in the last 240 years? They must have had some pretty damn good equipment.

Member #
    Liked
    4009 times
    The British actually did some field testing similar to what the U.S. did and they concluded that the 38/200 was sufficient.
    And remember this: If the .38 Colt's performance wasn't dissatisfactory we here is the U. S. might have had the .38 Automatic as out service cartridge, not the .45
    Last edited by kenhwind; 07-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    SMLE1907 and jeepnut711 like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links