New service help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smkummer

Thread: New service help

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New service help

I have a 1916 New Service in 38 special. It looks like a gunsmith has turned it into a target gun. Great shooter...very accurate! It appears to be missing a screw - any idea what size it might take? Also, what is its value? Any other insight would be helpful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    The hole is a modification, original new services did not have a hole or a screw there. Would need to look closer but it appears that there are British acceptance marks on the upper left side of the frame. The British purchased close to 60,000 for WWI and most were surplussed later. If those are acceptance marks then it was originally a 455 eley and then the barrel and cylinder replace after it was surplussed. Another indication that the barrel was replaced is that it has the taper near the frame and a true 1916 era gun should have a straight barrel. Without the serial number I cann't tell what type of barrel it should have.

As far as value, taking into account the about, it has no collector value and is only worth what someone will give for a good shooter

Member #
    Liked
    3283 times
    I thinking the screw hole was originally for a Wondersight that was popular on S&W's. The front sight looks like a King Gun Sight and the rear looks like a Micro.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New service help

Thanks everyone. Here’s the SN, and what the Colt website shows.
    The front sight says Micro.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1394 times
    Yep, agree with the above. Someone made what might have been a $20 revolver in the early 60’s into a more usable shooter. Now days if the gun was left in its original unaltered 455 configuration, it would bring $500- $700 on Gunbroker. At a gunbroker auction today, it would be lucky to fetch $300. The good news in this situation is the outcome of a good shooter. If it were mine, I would even ad a pair of pachmayr presentation rubber stocks.

If one one looks at American rifleman or shooting times from the early 60’s, the classified pages were full of military surplus guns for cheap ( a 1917 surplus colt new service in 45 acp was $29) Many enjoyed altering them into something different and even the American Rifleman published a booklet on sporterizing surplus military rifles. Again, back then the supply of surplus military guns seemed endless from importers.
    Last edited by smkummer; 05-17-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Dcollins5 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    The 1916 date of manufacture for the frame is correct. Which means the barrel and cylinder were modifications.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help! Here’s a better picture of the mark on left side. I’m really excited to hear this; although it’s not a great pic. I thought about changing the grips for a set of rubber grips, but this the first set of wood grips I actually like.

Sponsored Links