Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By JohnnyP
  • 3 Post By thecoltguy

Thread: 1915 British New Service target rear sight installation

Member #
    Liked
    38 times

1915 British New Service target rear sight installation

I have a Heinz 57 British 1915 era .455 NS frame and a new 1926 patent date 7-1/2" .44 Special barrel with front sight and an excellent used .44 Special cylinder. I want to install an adjustable rear sight. Most available rear sights are too big. I have an early Colt NS Target adjustable rear sight assembly that I am thinking about milling and dovetailing into the top rear of the frame. Has anybody done this installation? I would like to retain the plain front sight on the new barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    11639 times
    Your new rear sight will be higher than the original notch, and it will probably print higher with the stock front sight. From this New Service Target you can get an idea how much taller the front sight had to be with the adjustable rear.

Muley Gil and Rick Bowles like this.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17883 times
    What I believe is a much better option then the original New Service Target sight is to install a S&W style rear target sight. It is better quality and can easily be set into a milled slot on your gun. Here is one on a New Service that I have:

Muley Gil, rock185 and Hopalong like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    The S&W sight is an option I considered. However Bowen Classic Arms has an updated version of the NS Target sight. I'm going to contact them today.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17883 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pan957 View Post
    The S&W sight is an option I considered. However Bowen Classic Arms has an updated version of the NS Target sight. I'm going to contact them today.
    Sounds interesting. Please post some pictures after the change is made. Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1439 times
    I have a standard 1920 New Service 45 Colt with 7 1/2 barrel that is a tack driver. It really is my 200 yard 24” metal plate shooter. I simply made a “groove” with a knife in the rear of the shark fin sight for my 200 yard setting.

I guess i am I am trying to talk you out of modifying the frame because of the luck I have had with my gun. If it were myself, I would first sight in the barrel as it’s installed, and maybe it would work as is with your favorite 44 special load.

The one one issue you may have keeping the original sights is: The early guns had a narrow U groove to go with a thin front sight. In the early to mid 20’s, the rear sight groove got wider ( square) to match the wider front sight. This of course would be a moot point if you installed a adjustable rear sight.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7976 times
    Late to this post, but a possible easier and cheaper option might be a Wonder sight......

Wondersight « Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I have used the Wondersight on S&W pistols and found it lacking. Too much time for my eyes to pickup the rear sight. I think I will go with smkummer's recommendation of not installing an adjustable rear sight. I'll thin the wider front sight if I have to.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links