Colt Forum banner

Grail gun found

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  cds97910 
#1 ·
I have been seeking an early "357" model for a long time and recently got lucky in my search. This one checks off all of the boxes. Duo-tone finish. Polished, unblued muzzle. Round end sight leaf. Target hammer and stocks. Excellent finish and mechanics. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice Colt. I have one also.

Some years back I stopped in at a LGS that I was a regular customer at and they had a COLT 3-5-7 in the case, and not realizing what it was thinking just another older Colt, I shrugged it off.
I progastinated and when we finally got back there it was gone. A nice shooter, four inch, iirc no target features. I could have put it on layaway with no money down.

I did get a Trooper .38 nickel refinished, also a nice shooter.

Then my friend buys a real nice Colt 3-5-7 locally for a real good price and now I have to have one too. I look on GunBroker and there is a nice 4 inch nickel for sale, fixed price iirc, so on a whim I call them and ask if they'd do layaway on it, yes they told me. This one I'm sure is factory nickel and I'm probably going to letter it.

#10 · (Edited)
#14 · (Edited)
I have been seeking an early "357" . . . Round end sight leaf . . Just thought I'd share.
Thanks for sharing and congrats, that's a very nice reward for what sounds like a long search. Never realized the early 1st year 357's had the rounded rear sight leaf. Fun fact: the elevation screw on the early round and flat edge Accro sights lacks the bottom skirt which "locks" the sight's elevation setting in place, preventing it from "bounce" up and down between the screw and the frame. The "hump" added to the leaf in late 58' allowed the skirt to be added to the elevation screw which locked the elevation setting and prevented the sight from bouncing.

By S/N:4500 the rounded end sight leaf was gone . . .
Gun Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Trigger

A few other 357 oddities if your looking for a new grail and want to stay in the 357 family . . .

The rare factory lettered nickel 357 (factory special order)
Paper Drawing Illustration

Pennsylvania Game Commission: factory lightened trigger and marked on butt (factory special order)
Drawing Paper Illustration Technical drawing Revolver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.