Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Banker's Special .22 Nickel Sold on GB last night

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald12 View Post
    Would you be kind enough to post pics of your boxes and revolvers. I would enjoy seeing them?
    I'm not familiar with the correct box for a nickel Banker's Special, but here are examples of both blue and nickel Pre-War Detective Specials. White labels indicate nickel finish and dark label indicate blue:
    IMG_5326.jpg
    Once again, I'm not saying the box in question is not correct. Perhaps the labeling for the Banker's Special was different than the Detective Special. So few nickel Banker's Specials were made, it's hard to say what is "correct".
    Last edited by snakeman99; 06-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You are correct Sir. A COLT Nickel 22 Banker Special would have the following information on the end of the box......BANKER SPECIAL and below that would be everything the same as your nickel 38 bottom left box and a .22 label stuck over the .38.

Member #
    Liked
    2418 times
    I certainly don't want to diminished the rarity of this revolver or the purchase of it. I would like to learn about boxes though.
    Would it have been more accurate to say it was a correct era box instead of advertising it at the original numbered box? I tried looking at the pic that would show SN but I just can't make out anything.
    snakeman99 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    I guess this resolves the box issue: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...cial-22-a.html
    This would indicate that the box in question is not original to the gun.

"When it comes to the box we see that Colt did what they seemed to have done with most all short-run production guns and that is to convert an existing box label to fit there needs. I have viewed four original nickel .22 boxes and all had the white .38 Bankers label with a blue .22 sticker over the .38. Colt used the white label for the nickel guns and the blue label for the blue guns. Since there were no .22 caliber nickel guns at that time they used a .22 label from another gun by cutting it out and placing it over the .38 (See photo below)."

Last edited by snakeman99; 06-03-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    2418 times
    So, from what Cam wrote , it appears member Arom is correct.
    snakeman99 likes this.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald12 View Post
    So, from what Cam wrote , it appears member Arom is correct.
    Yes, he is correct. This subject seems to come up every few years so I thought that a post on the Bankers may help. Thanks to Russ, snakeman99, for posting the pictures of the DS boxes as it gives a good correlation. Gee Russ, I am surprised that you only showed four boxes with that terrific collection of yours you should have stacked them up to the ceiling for the shock effect.

Member #
    Liked
    1947 times
    So did the buyer get a bad deal because it was not original Box?????

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKO65 View Post
    So did the buyer get a bad deal because it was not original Box?????
    No, not necessarily. A famous old Colt collector once said: You never pay to much for a Colt, it's just that sometimes you buy early.
    Kahrman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    999 times
    ...and another oft-quoted axiom: "Buy the gun, not the box".
    azshot and vadrums like this.
    Life/Benefactor Member NRA since 1962, Former Navy Nuclear Weapons Officer, OIC Base R&P Team, OIC Base Armory. Collector, shooter, amateur gunsmith. Life Member NCGCA, Member CCA

Member #
    Liked
    2418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK View Post
    ...and another oft-quoted axiom: "Buy the gun, not the box".
    That said, the description did lead a bidder to believe it was the original box numbered to the revolver when it actually was not. Granted, if you can afford to spend 14K on a revolver, a wrong box may not be a concern.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links