short barreled 1877 "lightning" now with pics
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: short barreled 1877 "lightning" now with pics

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    I am always looking for information. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you a form you can fill out.
    Thanks Russ
    Livin the dream!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Withem View Post
    I own three 2" guns. The colt on all of mine are behind the front sight on top of the barrel.I would get a factory letter on it. If it letters as a 2" gun I would like all the information on it for my book.
    Thanks Russ
    What book?

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Bringing this up again... What book??? 1877 lovers want to know!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    more pics did not notice the cylinder was numbered too.
    The 2" Colt M1877 DA has a normal set of barrel markings for this period of time.

My #21745 is a 38 Colt with a 2" barrel. The factory letter notes 38/c, 2", Blue, SNL, Shipped to Simmons Hdwe Co., St. Louis, Mo, on 12-19-1879, 20 Guns. Maybe yours was in the same shipment, or shipped on the same day?

When ordering a letter, you MUST specify the caliber, in addition to serial number. I have collected this model for almost 60 years.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    So would it really be worth it to spend the 100 bucks to get a factory letter on this one?
    Its hard to see but the number on the butt is matching too. Depends on what angle you hold it to be able to see it.
    As I have pointed out in the past, the Lightning was the "Dickens" to number. Getting up to six digits on one line within a short space (and also on some semi-spherical surfaces) was not easy. Thus, weak or partial numbers are commonly seen.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    You ask if it's worth it to letter this one for $100. Well, if it were mine, I would, so I know for sure I own a most unusual Lightning with a 2" barrel.

Will the $100 be "worth it"? If it letters as such, you will reap $100 many many times over. If it letters as anything longer than 2", then you paid $100 to find you have a revolver of little value with a cut barrel.

The acid etched panel appears to be genuine.

I waited for several responses before answering as I wanted to see if anyone else would mention the COLT stamped on the right side of the barrel. I've never seen this before. I don't know if it's an attempt to make what is not right seem right, such as a 2" barrel? Or, if it originated at the factory at the time of manufacture?

It is curious, and just because I haven't seen it before doesn't mean it isn't correct.

These 1877s are amazing guns. A quality reference volume on these is long overdue. Who wants to write it?
    In the past, every one that intended to publish a book on the Colt M1877 DA has died. John Kopec passed his M1877 data on to Richard Marohn in the late 1970's, and Marohn died in 1995. More recently, one Bruce Skinner also intended a book, but he died.

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    I guess the simple "COLT" must have sufficed in place of a barrel address on a short barreled gun such as these?
    I have seen a few 2" M1877 DA's with "Colt D.A. 38" (or 41) on the left side, and the condensed two-line address on the right side. There simply wasn't enough room to apply a barrel roll between the front sight and frame.

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    This pretty interesting to the lay person.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    thanks for all the replies. I guess I will get the ball rolling on the papers. I lucked out I guess, figured it was just a common lightning worth maybe 300 bucks.
    I'll bet it is no "common lightning" -- very unique with that extra short barrel. Interesting to know who would have carried this, and the purpose. Obviously, a very concealable pistol.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
    I have compiled a list of 416 shipments of this model. Of those 416 I have found 3 shipments of 2" revolvers.

They shipped between 1879 - 1882.
    Lance.
    I couldn't PM this to you so here is a shipment you may not haveIMG_20190726_100757115.jpg
    ColtsDad and victorio1sw like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links