DS Box Research Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5248 times

DS Box Research Question

I'm doing a bit of research for a possible "Box Identification" thread and need some help. Believe it or not, I have a few "gaps" in my boxed Detective Special collection. I'm pretty sure the maroon colored exterior cardboard box with two piece styrofoam liner began in 1986. I also believe that they were only used until 1991 or 1992.
    IMG_5340.jpg
    My first question is: Does anyone have an example that dates earlier than 1986?
    My next question is: Does anyone have an example that dates later than 1991?
    Thank You...
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    2389 times
    My 1984 Theodore Roosevelt has that box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5248 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald12 View Post
    My 1984 Theodore Roosevelt has that box.
    Wow, Thank You. I had a hunch they were around in 1985 but did not expect to see one from 1984.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2389 times
    Do you need a pic of the end label or better pic of the box?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5248 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald12 View Post
    Do you need a pic of the end label or better pic of the box?
    The existence of the 1984 box itself is all I need. Thanks...

Member #
    Liked
    1926 times
    Snakeman, I bought a Detective Special in December of 1992. The outer box was sepia toned with a montage of old Colt advertising cuts and bar code label on one end. Inside was a blue plastic Colt box with the standard paperwork package, hang tag, etc. The gun is one of the supposed run of 500 with a serial number between AD00001 and AD00500 that were done as a pilot run before briefly reintroducing the DS versions that came with the Pachmayr grips w/Colt medallions. Mine came fitted with smooth walnut service stocks w/gold medallions.
    Let me know if you need photos.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5248 times
    Thanks Walter. I already have examples of that box/label but very much appreciate the offer. What is interesting is that you bought the gun in December of 1992. Colt officially "re-released" the Detective Special as a 1993 model (with Pachmayr grips). I have not heard of this "pilot run" of 500 guns issued with smooth walnut stocks with gold medallions. I'd love to see pics. Do you still have the gun?

Member #
    Liked
    2525 times
    Not to step on anyone's toes here, but the type of box may depend on when the gun was actually shipped. The Theodore Roosevelt commemorative SAA was produced in 1984 ("The Colt Commemoratives 1961-1986", Condry & Jones, Taylor Publishing Co., 1989, page 178-179) but all guns my not have shipped in that year. The Colt Archive letter on my TR commemorative SAA says it was shipped to Howco Distributors in Laurel, Maryland on 12/14/1984 and it has the earlier woodgrain shell/white styro box. However, if Ronald12's gun was not shipped until 1986 or later, it might have the maroon anniversary box. There are many known examples of this type of occurrence.

- - - -Buckspen

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5248 times
    Yes, Thanks Buckspen. That's one of the issues I'm having to deal with. For simplicity's sake. My box thread (when posted) is intended to be a reference displaying the style of box used while in production. I realize that it's a giant can of worms that I really don't want to open with all the different style boxes that may or may not have been used after a gun was produced but not immediately shipped. I have several Detective Specials that fit that description.

Member #
    Liked
    2389 times
    Buckspend
    My TR commemorative shipped march 1987.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links