1983 colt Detective Special gold accents
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 1983 colt Detective Special gold accents

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

1983 colt Detective Special gold accents

Been asked to appraise a Colt Detecive Special serial number is P99532. Need some help with this one. Has gold plated cylinder assembly. No box. Blue looks factory. Any ideas appreciated. Stocks are smooth with gold medallions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Got any carbines?

Member #
    Liked
    1452 times
    I am going to assume it’s not factory. In that case I would appraise it at nominal $500. The reason I am fairly certain it’s not factory is because I have a fully gold-plated Detective engraved by Ken Hurst that he made in 1982. When I called Ken about five years ago after purchasing that gun, he told me that Colt at that time did not allow gold plating, and he had to do it outside of Colt. It was a special gun for a close friend, but he said it was the only gold Detective he ever did.

Check the gun for any familiar signatures, but just a random aftermarket gold plating, in my opinion, does not add value, and possibly even lowers it.
    Harper likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    It is indeed a factory gun and might have been sold through Lew Horton Distributing. They shipped in two separate batches, 5 units in 1986 and 14 units in 1991. I'm guessing yours might be one of the 5 units shipped in 1986. I know because I own a NIB example from the first batch that is serial number P99549. I have letters from both Colt and Lew Horton. These were "over-run" guns from the cancelled "Bijan" contract.
    IMG_6167.jpgIMG_6165.jpgIMG_6168.jpgIMG_6169.jpg
    Estimating a value of your gun is difficult because of the relative "rarity" of that particular model. Based on the prices I paid for my NIB examples, I'd ballpark your's somewhere between $1500 and $2,000. I'd suggest requesting an archive letter from both Colt and Lew Horton.
    Last edited by snakeman99; 06-14-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    I also have a NIB example from the second batch of 14 units shipped in 1991.
    IMG_6171.jpgIMG_6174.jpgIMG_6175.jpgIMG_6172.jpgIMG_6173.jpg
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Fully gold plated guns from the Colt factory are indeed exceptionally rare. Here is a NIB example that shipped in 1991.
    IMG_5818.JPGGold10.JPGIMG_5270.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    1600 times
    It is quite possible its not a Lew Horton gun. I have 3 of them myself some of which are within 30 serial numbers of the OP and only my LTD serial numbered gun went thru Lew Horton but I am also quite confident it is a factory gun. Only thing I wonder is if the grips are original but either way the grips are inexpensive and not numbered to the gun. All 3 of mine have archive letters as well. You don't really need a Lew Horton letter. If the gun went to him the Colt letter will tell you that although there is certainly no harm in requesting the letter. I think they are free from LH but not sure.
    Last edited by g27racing; 06-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    True, I don't know the serial numbers of the other Lew Horton guns and whether or not they were sequential. It might just be one of the other over-run "Bijan" guns...
    Last edited by snakeman99; 06-14-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1600 times
    Old age is getting to me. I need to correct myself. I only have 2 of those guns. One did go thru Lew Horton and the other did not. The one that did is in the LTD serial number set. The other I have is 24 serial numbers away from the OP's gun....
    snakeman99 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14385 times
    Another thumbs up for Earl Minot at Lew Horton. Nice guy and very helpful. He will tell you if it's a LH edition and send you a hard copy for free.
    az_colt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Yeah, Earl is a great guy who has helped me out on several occasions...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links