• 1 Post By Fly Navy
  • 2 Post By newtonguitars
  • 1 Post By Python.357

Thread: New to me 2nd Gen Detective Special

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

New to me 2nd Gen Detective Special

I've been looking for a nice early Detective Special, but the ones I've seen at local gun shows have been a little pricey ($800-$950+) even when wearing Pachmayrs and showing quite a bit of use. I was following a few on GB and the prices were more reasonable, believe it or not! I took a chance and popped on a 2nd generation DS and won the auction. It's a '52, with nice checkered walnut grips and the original box. I gave it a good cleaning and RenWax, and it's in really nice condition. It does show a little holster wear on the end of the barrel and cylinder, and some wear on the grips, but otherwise it's minty. Looks and feels like it was carried a lot but shot very seldom. The box needed a good cleaning and a little TLC (and glue), but now it's solid with a lot of character! Now I feel like watching some Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson movies, or maybe Dragnet and Sergeant Friday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Congratulations and a great find. Classic Detective!
    Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
    Oh My!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Nice looking DS for sure. You'll probably want to hunt down a set of original "Coltwood" grips for it though. The wooden grips are not correct for that model year.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Looks like a good honest DS, enjoy.
    simonp67 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Nice DS, Python! There is nothing I enjoy more than taking pot-shots at Edward G Robinson & his gang, and evening the score for Humphrey & Lauren on "Key Largo". A Colt revolver is good on so many levels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Python.357 View Post
    Now I feel like watching some Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson movies, or maybe Dragnet and Sergeant Friday.
    simonp67 and DeaconKC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I didn't realize that only Coltwood grips were issued on the DS from late-40s to late-50s...thanks for educating me. However, I'm not a fan of Coltwood or any other plastic/faux wood grips so I think I'll let mine continue to wear the checkered walnut grips. Not sure if my grips are pre-Coltwood or post-Coltwood, but I like them. I may keep an eye out for some Coltwoods down the road just so I can throw them in the box and have a set of period correct grips.
    Jackson likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Your's look to be Pre-War Walnut grips.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links