Revolvers with etched panel -- "Frontier Six Shooter"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Revolvers with etched panel -- "Frontier Six Shooter"

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Member #
    28712
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    560
    Liked
    434 times

    Revolvers with etched panel -- "Frontier Six Shooter"

    I am familiar with the early 44/40 SAA and model 1878 both having "Frontier Six Shooter" acid etched on the barrel. Was there any other early Colts with this feature?

    I am also familiar with the early model 1877 DA's having the caliber acid etched on the barrel, was there other early Colts etched this way?

    tdennis
    sumthin_nu likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    31414
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Toston, Montana
    Posts
    288
    Liked
    424 times
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only Colts that had acid etched barrels were the "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" model 1873 and 1878 DA; the .38, .41, and maybe .32 caliber 1877 DAs; and the 1878 .45 Colt caliber DA that had "Omnipotent" acid etched on the barrel. The Omnipotent marked 1878s I think were only sold by Benjamin Kittredge of Cincinnati, Ohio. It is also my understanding that he coined the other etchings as well. And, I read that he came up with the nicknames for the different caliber 1877 DAs. "Lightning" for the .38, "Thunderer" for the .41, and "Rainmaker" for the .32 caliber. He used all of these names for marketing Colts revolvers. I think towards the end of the 1880s, it became evident that the etching was somewhat fragile, and they went to a rolled on stamp marking.
    Last edited by Garret44CAL; 07-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    "He raised quickly his pistol--a self-cocker-- within a foot of my breast. Retreating rapidly across the room, he cried, "Quien es? Quien es?" All this occurred more rapidly than it takes to tell it. As quick as possible I drew my revolver and fired, threw my body to one side, and fired again. The second shot was useless. The Kid fell dead at the first one." ~ Pat Garrett 1882

  3. #3
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    29677
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    578
    Liked
    686 times
    A lot of the New Lines from the 1870's had etched panels.
    Also, the New House And New Police (Cop and Thug) in the early 1880's
    They are all spur trigger models20171023_161745(4).jpg

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member

    Member #
    24862
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    116
    Liked
    223 times
    An 1878 "OMNIPOTENT" marked revolver. I believe only 154 were etched this way and only 40% of those were with a blue finish which makes this gun quite rare. It is resting on an original Colt Broadside advertising page from 1880. If you look closely you will see the Model 1877 images on the reverse side of the advertising page.

    omnipotent_restore.jpgomnipotent panel.jpgomni3.jpg
    Last edited by RevoReno; 07-29-2019 at 04:23 AM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    28712
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    560
    Liked
    434 times
    Nice, I like the Blued guns with an etched panel. Trying to locate an 1877 Thunderer buled with etched panel evidently a rare bird without ejector!
    tdennis
    cloverleaf and victorio1sw like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    66711
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    791
    Liked
    1303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdennis View Post
    I am familiar with the early 44/40 SAA and model 1878 both having "Frontier Six Shooter" acid etched on the barrel. Was there any other early Colts with this feature?

    I am also familiar with the early model 1877 DA's having the caliber acid etched on the barrel, was there other early Colts etched this way?

    tdennis
    Some early Colt M1878's in 45 Colt are etched "Omnipotent".

    Also I have one of the first Colt M1878's chambered for 41 Colt. It was a 1-gun shipment in 1887 with 7-1/2" barrel. The left side of barrel is etched "Colt D.A. 41", probably using the same stencil as on the Colt M1877 DA's.
    Garret44CAL likes this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    66711
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    791
    Liked
    1303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdennis View Post
    Nice, I like the Blued guns with an etched panel. Trying to locate an 1877 Thunderer buled with etched panel evidently a rare bird without ejector!
    tdennis
    Yes, statistically with 58% of M1877 DA's being 38 Colt and 41% being 41 Colt, finding a blued etched 41 example is more difficult.

    Finding an etched M1877 means a gun made 1877 to 1889. Among the guns I've had within this date range, only 25% were in 41 Colt, and ZERO are blue. YES, the blued etched 41's seem to be a rare bird! But affecting my numbers here is a heavy percentage (55%) of low-numbered guns (2 to 4 digits).

    Also looking at total production 1877-89, 21% were blued and the other 79% were nickel plated (leaving out a few odd-ball gold, silver etc).
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 07-29-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    cloverleaf likes this.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    29677
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    578
    Liked
    686 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Some early Colt M1878's in 45 Colt are etched "Omnipotent".

    Also I have one of the first Colt M1878's chambered for 41 Colt. It was a 1-gun shipment in 1887 with 7-1/2" barrel. The left side of barrel is etched "Colt D.A. 41", probably using the same stencil as on the Colt M1877 DA's.
    That's a rare bird!
    victorio1sw likes this.

  10. #9
    Senior Member

    Member #
    28712
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    560
    Liked
    434 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverleaf View Post
    That's a rare bird!
    Yes it is!
    victorio1sw likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12263
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Posts
    2,373
    Liked
    1758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Yes, statistically with 58% of M1877 DA's being 38 Colt and 41% being 41 Colt, finding a blued etched 41 example is more difficult. Finding an etched M1877 means a gun made 1877 to 1889. Among the guns I've had within this date range, only 25% were in 41 Colt, and ZERO are blue. YES, the blued etched 41's seem to be a rare bird! But affecting my numbers here is a heavy percentage (55%) of low-numbered guns (2 to 4 digits). Also looking at total production 1877-89, 21% were blued and the other 79% were nickel plated (leaving out a few odd-ball gold, silver etc).
    Well, how rare are these, really? This is why a book on the Colt 1877 is desperately needed. Supposedly, one is in the finishing stages of production, but only time will tell! If one is not written in the next ten years, I will take a stab at it, when I retire in 2029. This one did not move on this forum in the $1900 or $2000 range in March. I offered $1500 and...sold! Condition is strong. If this were a Colt SAA, 1880 production, the value of such in this condition would easily be 10 times what I paid for this one in March.20306SN4.jpe20306SN3.jpe20306SN1.jpe20306SN2.jpe20306 front sight.jpe
    Last edited by mrcvs; 08-01-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    victorio1sw likes this.


 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.