Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Mystery Colt--prototype?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Mystery Colt--prototype?

Hi,
    We were given a Colt and told that it is a collector's item. No details were given as to why, and the giver is now deceased. I have scoured gun sites, including Colt, as well as parts sellers, ebay, etc., and the gun we have appears to not exist.

Per Colt's website, the serial number dictates that it is either a 1943 military weapon or a 1962 Police Positive Special & Detective Special. The gun looks nothing like the 1943 military version, so we're looking at the 1962 information. But there's a problem, centering on the grips.

Details:
    Pat Sept 18 1871
    July 272 Jan 19.75.
    Serial omitted for now
    barrel is 4"
    Caliber is not stamped anywhere on the gun.
    There is nothing stamped on the barrel.

The grips are creating the mystery. The serial number dictates one thing, but I cannot find a single image of that with the same grips. The grips on this gun have a straight-across approach, then a nice curve--not interchangeable with what appears to be the standard set. I have seen these grips in images for SSL SA Army revolver that chambers .44 Russian and S&W Special, a Bisley model, and Colt Single Action Army SAA, but the rest of the information on these guns does not match this gun. I found one listing on a gun website for these grips titled "rare original Bisley grips". I have spent the day turning the internet upside down trying to shake this out and am stumped.

I have 2 people looking at this gun later, and they've requested no photos be posted yet. I am wondering if this is some sort of prototype? Any information is appreciated!

Thanks

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7852 times
    What is concerning to the two people that you can't show us a few photos to aid in identification ?
    WVCOLT, po18guy, Road Rat and 4 others like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi, and thanks for the reply. Nothing that I would label "concerning". It's a nice piece, with graceful lines, and in good condition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4630 times
    Hmmmmmmm......
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    2413 times
    If you cannot take camera pics, then lay the gun on a scanner with a sheet of white paper over it.

Otherwise "What we have here is a failure to communicate"! (Paul Newman).
    WVCOLT, Road Rat, 824tsv and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'll let these guys look at it, and then will post pics. Will take a couple of days. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time--just seeing if anyone had any ideas on why this gun is so hard to pin down. Thanks!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7852 times
    It may not be hard to pin down for some of the members here but with the handicap it's probably not going to happen .

I can say though that these patent dates do not belong on a 1962 PPS or DS .
    WVCOLT, usgi1911A1 and oldedawg like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    And the mystery gets more interesting. Thanks, Guy.

Member #
    Liked
    2615 times
    Like getting a haircut over the phone.

Member #
    Liked
    5997 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterygun View Post
    I'll let these guys look at it, and then will post pics. Will take a couple of days. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time--just seeing if anyone had any ideas on why this gun is so hard to pin down. Thanks!
    Am wondering:

1. Who are these "two guys"?
    2. If the web and Colt's has no answer, how on earth would they?
    3. Watch out for profiteers jerking you around.

Friends? Well, friends are friends only until they are not. Cash has shattered innumerable friendships.
    WVCOLT, PICARDIE, Colt-SL and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links