Colt Forum banner

Need info/value on Colt New Service 455 eley

7K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  longranger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on this old revolver I'm being offered. What do you feel it's worth in the current market? Does it look original aside from the stocks? Thanks.....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Just my opinion, but if its a difficult to find caliber, the value goes down. Many other potential buyers feel the same way. I like New Services, and there are idiosyncrasies with those British calibers, like some are converted to .45 ACP and such. I just don't try to keep up, so pass if they're not .45 Colt of .44 WCF or Special.

The cylinder looks like it's better finished than the frame, but it should be the opposite. So probably the above mentioned conversion has occurred. Finish level looks about 75%. But it also kind of looks like the frame was reblued, but hard to tell with the pics. I see a British stamp so it's a WWI contract gun, likely.

50 years ago these were very cheap, and people tried to get it where you could shoot them. Value goes down if it's not original. A set of grips would cost at least $100, so subtract that. . If it were for sale locally for $300 I'd buy, $450 I'd maybe buy it. If $900 I'd walk by. I say that because for every collector with deep pockets that will say "I'd buy every one for $500!" there are 25 collectors that won't. And if you are buying as an investment, that means it will be slow to sell, the higher it cost you.

#5 ·
The most logical conversion was to ream the .455 cylinders to accept .45 Colt NOT .45 ACP. Done correctly the revolver would chamber and shoot both .455 Webley and .45 Colt. The Webly rim is thinner but larger in diameter while the Colt rim is thicker but smaller in diameter. Evidence that it has been done is a very slight counterbore to accept the Colt rim and the deeper chamber.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
The seller says he has never shot it and does not know if it has been modified. I offered him $350 for it and he just accepted. Sounds like I should probably close this deal tomorrow? I honestly would be excited if it is chambered in 45 Colt that is one of my all-time favorite calibers.

Also wondering if the mop stocks are worth anything? I'm more of a purist when it comes to stocks. Attached is a Pic of the cylinder

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
If your New Service is all original, don't touch the chambers. However, if it has been refinished, sights filed upon, etc., you can rent a .45 Colt reamer for around $50. I just reamed two .32 H&R Magnum cylinders and a .22 LR cylinder to .22 Magnum. Make sure you rent the handle also. My tap handle didn't fit the reamer and I wound up doing it with an open end wrench.

#13 ·
If your heart isn’t into the 455 chambering, I would list the gun on gun broker as is starting at or a little more than what you have into it. Have a FFL ship it to the buyers FFL through the post office medium flat rate box for $20 insured. Unmodified 455 eley colt new services now bring more to collectors than modified. Then keep your eye out for an original chambered new service in 45 colt. I have bought these recently for $3-600.

#15 ·
In your chambers picture I see the side plate looks high. Make sure all the screws are snugged down with a good fitting screwdrivers (so you don't bugger the screw heads). Of if you feel ambitious, learn to open up that side plate and clean and lube the action, it will probably function nicer.

#16 · (Edited)
I cann't tell for sure from the pictures but the cylinder looks like the rear face may have been "shaved" to accepted 45 acp and half moon clips. If it is a .455 British contract gun the rear face of the cylinder should have crossed pennants (like those on the left front of the frame) stamped on it. I don't see them in your pictures but part of it is too dark. If the crossed pennants are not present on the rear face of the cylinder than it has either had metal removed or the cylinder has been replaced. The sides of the hammer should be bright, they look blued and the pin ends on the frame look flatted which could indicate a refinish.

#17 ·
I have one in 455 Ely with an extra 45 Colt cylinder. The best of both worlds. Cylinders show up on eBay every once in a while. The gun looks like it has some cold blue rubbed over the bare spots.

#20 ·
Don’t ream the cylinder to accommodate 45 Colt, the 455 Webley is viable cartridge with brass and dies available. The gun is worth more unmodified,fewer and fewer of the factory 455’s are unmodified. You got a great deal on a great gun with some time and consideration it should prove to be a fine shooter. Junk the ill fitting stocks and get some aftermarket walnut service stocks for not a lot of $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.