Need info/value on Colt New Service 455 eley
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Need info/value on Colt New Service 455 eley

Member #
    Liked
    81 times

Need info/value on Colt New Service 455 eley

Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on this old revolver I'm being offered. What do you feel it's worth in the current market? Does it look original aside from the stocks? Thanks.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DeaconKC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6238 times
    Just my opinion, but if its a difficult to find caliber, the value goes down. Many other potential buyers feel the same way. I like New Services, and there are idiosyncrasies with those British calibers, like some are converted to .45 ACP and such. I just don't try to keep up, so pass if they're not .45 Colt of .44 WCF or Special.

The cylinder looks like it's better finished than the frame, but it should be the opposite. So probably the above mentioned conversion has occurred. Finish level looks about 75%. But it also kind of looks like the frame was reblued, but hard to tell with the pics. I see a British stamp so it's a WWI contract gun, likely.

50 years ago these were very cheap, and people tried to get it where you could shoot them. Value goes down if it's not original. A set of grips would cost at least $100, so subtract that. . If it were for sale locally for $300 I'd buy, $450 I'd maybe buy it. If $900 I'd walk by. I say that because for every collector with deep pockets that will say "I'd buy every one for $500!" there are 25 collectors that won't. And if you are buying as an investment, that means it will be slow to sell, the higher it cost you.
    Last edited by azshot; 07-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    mentallapse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Thanks for the great info! For those guns that were converted, is there a place where they were typically stamped, or is the only way to know definitively if it's been converted to measure the cylinders?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
    Thanks for the great info! For those guns that were converted, is there a place where they were typically stamped, or is the only way to know definitively if it's been converted to measure the cylinders?
    If you have 45 auto rim brass see if the cylinder will close on it. No loaded ammo.
    Don Spires

Patron Life NRA
    NMLRA CLA
    Tennessee Longhunters

Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    The most logical conversion was to ream the .455 cylinders to accept .45 Colt NOT .45 ACP. Done correctly the revolver would chamber and shoot both .455 Webley and .45 Colt. The Webly rim is thinner but larger in diameter while the Colt rim is thicker but smaller in diameter. Evidence that it has been done is a very slight counterbore to accept the Colt rim and the deeper chamber.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mentallapse and 68lemans462 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    The seller says he has never shot it and does not know if it has been modified. I offered him $350 for it and he just accepted. Sounds like I should probably close this deal tomorrow? I honestly would be excited if it is chambered in 45 Colt that is one of my all-time favorite calibers.

Also wondering if the mop stocks are worth anything? I'm more of a purist when it comes to stocks. Attached is a Pic of the cylinder

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 68lemans462; 07-30-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    azshot and DeaconKC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14960 times
    Those are not MOP stocks, they are plastic and known as MOTS. If you want .45 Colt (and it's not already) that's an easy fix.
    mentallapse likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1311 times
    I cannot answer as to price, but first check to see if that gun is still a 455 (vs reamed out to 45 Colt).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1403 times
    It looks like it hasn’t been modified. You didn’t over pay. If you decide you want correct ammo to shoot out of it, let me know.
    mentallapse and 68lemans462 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    How much to ream the cyl for 45 Colt?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links