American Railway Express Co. Police Positive orders.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By johnlindly

Thread: American Railway Express Co. Police Positive orders.

Member #
    Liked
    371 times

American Railway Express Co. Police Positive orders.

I did a search and there are a few posts on the forum about this company and more about the Railway Express Agency (REA) that followed it. I was wondering if anyone has done research as to how many Colts were sent to the initial incarnation of the company from 1917 to 1927-1929 (depending on what source you choose). I have one that was part of a 24 gun shipment in 1923 and I have seen another revolver that was part of a separate 50 gun shipment later in 1927. There are other archive letters but they fall into REA time period including one order of 446 guns. There was a post on this forum from a few years ago that called these guns "common" but in my 35 years of collecting mine was the first that I have seen. How common are the American Railway Express guns?
    Another question is about engraving on the back-strap - mine does not have the company (abbreviated) engraving there or anywhere else nor is it noted in the letter from Colt archives. Other posts have written that their guns did have the engraving noted in the letter. Are these always engraved with the company names? There are scratches in this location so the engraving could have been removed.
    Here is an artsy photo of my revolver with American Railway Express and other props. Still don't have the proper holster but the pre-1925 coat pocket holster from Heiser will work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by johnlindly; 08-07-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links