Colt Forum banner

Colt Trooper VS S&W Highway Patrolman

9K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  feralmerril 
#1 ·
Here I am faced with a decision that hearkens back to 1960-70. I have a chance to buy either of these fine revolvers in 357. I see very little between them but the current madness of Colt prices in Canada. (sorry) The Patrolman is totally stock in 98% condition. The Trooper has a few things I am not sure about. An exposed extractor for one. Did early models have these? I have found a few pictures of Troopers laid out this way. Also it is not wearing target stocks, but the slim round top stocks you'd see on an Official Police. They are worn to age, so may be a choice made by a LEO years ago.

The Trooper is $1200 US. The Patrolman almost half that. Is just just the market force of "almost a Python"? Fit and finish on both are top notch.

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, Troopers made until 1969 had an exposed ejector rod. When I was younger, I thought S&W had the better idea, now I like them. :)

You don't say what you want them for, but if it's for shooting, go with the S&W for half the money. If it's for collecting, they would need to have their boxes and stuff. As for as future value, that's not why I buy guns, because I'm not smart enough. If the money doesn't matter and you like the Colt better, that's reason enough.

Is the Colt twice the gun, or even a better gun for general shooting? No.

Here's a link to Trooper info:

Trooper

#6 ·
The S&W is built on their N-frame...larger than the Colt...probably stronger as well. Both are excellent revolvers...the Trooper is a really nice piece but not worth double the price.

#10 ·
My S&W model 28 sits in the safe awaiting repair. Its a 4" version, 28-2 in 90% condition. It will lock back in single action in 5 cylinders. The sixth cylinder is the problem. Double action doesn't work & it cannot be cocked into single action. Additionally, sometimes the DA sequence doesn't work on some of the other cylinders.

Reactions: Brassmonkey
#14 ·
If it is from the 70s, well, no one was making things as they should back then. OK, maybe Sig P210s and Korth revolvers, but the US of A was in a malaise.

During the 70s, saw a 29 at the shop where I worked that had a timing problem. Back then, everybody had to have one, waits were long, prices were way up there and Smith was cranking them out full speed ahead. Something had to give. As to yours, has someone been in there? They're not that complicated, so repair should be simple enough.

The late Troopers with shrouded ejector rods are nice guns. Still, the D/A is not nearly as nice as the 28's.

To the OP: For a shooter, and for half the price, the Smith takes this one hammers down. It will shoot full blast .357s until Armageddon.

#11 ·
I've got an early trooper and it is a fantastic revolver but if I was going to shoot a lot of stick with the patrolman. I imagine it is slightly larger/heavier compared to the feel of the trooper. The patrolman is a great revolver and should a real pussycat in .357!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I don't see an answer. I'll assume it's a 28-2 since those seem to be the most abundant. Just for the sake of argument, if it happens to be a 28-1 it is extremely rare and worth a lot more than you suggest the purchase price will be. 28-2s seem to start in the $600 range and go up from there, these days. A non-model number (simply a Highway Patrolman from before 1957ish) or an S prefix serial number 28-2 would be a bit more of a premium on the market.

If it's a 28-3 it would not have a pinned barrel or recessed chambers so not as coveted and not hold as much value.

Also, condition makes a huge difference, too.

Seems like the overwhelming opinion is for the S&W (an opinion I share). Good luck.

#20 ·
I'll explain my choice for the S&W Highway Patrolman over the Colt MkIII Trooper. As I said in my other post, an original Trooper would get a lot more consideration, but my choice between the two would still most likely be the Highway Patrolman.

First the Colt Trooper MkIII bought new in the mid 1980's, 8" barrel, nickel finish, retained the factory walnut stocks as they fit my hand very well. Accuracy was what I expected out of a long barreled magnum, no disappointment there at all, fit and finish were good as well, trigger pull was good, not exceptional, but good. I'm certain the Colt could handle many rounds of factory level .357 Magnum ammo and do it for a very long time. I really didn't care much for the new Colt MkIII lock-work, but decided to give it a try, and that was the reason I traded the Colt in on another S&W Highway Patrolman, a 6" to compliment my 4". Only several months into the Colt, the hammer broke, snapped in half below the thumb piece. The shop sent it back to Colt, they replaced the hammer at no charge and when it came back I swapped it in on a used 6" S&W Highway Patrolman.

The S&W M-28 Highway Patrolman is in my opinion the most rugged, dependable .357 Magnum revolver they made, and I regret they do not currently produce new ones. Neither the 4" or 6" ever failed me in any way and I did put them through a lot firing some heavy Blue Dot loads out of them. Aside from my 4" 629-3, the Highway Patrolman is my favorite D.A. revolver. No S&W N frame revolver has ever failed me from a 1917 U.S. Army through two Highway Patrolmans, two M-57's, and several M-29/629's. They just work.

#23 ·
The Python is a embellished Trooper. Here is my 2 1/2" alongside my 3" Smith 66-3. They are very similar to pack and off hand they both are the same accuracy to me. The N frame on top is a 27-2 with my name, just a higher finish than the model 28. Under it is a model 29-2 both in the rarer 5" barrels. They both have become safe queens as I rather carry the lighter 66-3 or the Python. I also have the 4" Python but it also is a safe queen. I ride the trails with our RZR a lot when I aint laid up (Hip replacement) and I always opt to carry mostly a old S&W M&P. Dont like skuffing up and dirting the primo stuff.

#29 ·
I thought I had wandered into a Smith & Wesson forum for awhile. The consensus between the 2 guns was clearly to the SW28.

I have each of the models in the Trooper, and the III, and the V. They are not the same as my snake guns. I still like em. They smell like History. Good guns. You may need a good Colt gunsmith.

The S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman is outstanding. Fit and finish is excellent, but the accuracy is even better. Awesome triggers !!! Great guns.

If we changed the question a little, we would get different answers. Like why the Trooper, and why the 28?
Several posters mentioned the S&W model 27. Most state the N frame model 27 is the pinnacle of the S&W 357's for not much more money than the 28. They should last 3 lifetimes.
Others mentioned the K frame model 19. I'm on the small side and the K frames just fit my hand. They should last my lifetime plus half another.

Priced right, they all have their niches. Hard to go wrong. Is this a great country or what?

Prescut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.