• 2 Post By snakeman99

Thread: Earliest Factory Nickel Model ThreeFiftySeven

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5403 times

Earliest Factory Nickel Model ThreeFiftySeven

This is by far the earliest factory nickel Model ThreeFiftySeven I've ever seen: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825209978
    Factory nickel 3-5-7's of any age are "rare" but most were manufactured very late in production during either 1960 or 1961. The three examples I've owned were all from this period. The GB example that sold tonight must have been a "special order" from the factory. I first thought the gun had been refinished, but the factory applied nickel finish was verified by a call to the Colt Archive Department. If I hadn't sold off my entire collection of 3-5-7's, I would have been a VERY interested bidder. By the way, the final selling price of $1200 was an absolute BARGAIN​ and probably worth at least twice that amount. Proof that great buys can and do "fly under the radar" from time to time on GB...
    Last edited by snakeman99; 08-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    I paid a bit more then half that for my ThreeFiftySeven, also 4 inch nickel, no indication of a refinish, same stocks, standard hammer. The safe was open so I grabbed mine and compared the two. Bought it several years ago condition is in the nice shooter class.
    I would consider this one a bargain too, and if in the market for one it would have been a consideration funds permitting. But I have one and I'm content with it so I don't do any searches for these.
    Last edited by kenhwind; 08-12-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times
    Snakeman's referenced 357

pix285002932.jpg
    mentallapse, ei8ht and boykin like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17572 times
    Nickel Model 3 5 7"s with the 4" barrel are very desirable and the 6" nickel is rare.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hey guys,

A quick question. I have several of the Colt 3 5 7 's. I see 2 poster writing three FIFTY seven. I have always understood the nomenclature to be three FIVE seven when written. Or with spaces, 3 5 7.

I've heard the story that in the beginning, Colt said they would never put their competitor's S&W on one of their guns. So the plan was for a space between the numbers and use the name as being the caliber. So, the 357 S&W magnum was not used. Later, when forced, only the 357 Magnum ctg was used.

Anyone know the real deal, or, are we stuck with more internet myths?

Prescut

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5403 times
    Archive Letters and the original box label reads "Three-Fifty-Seven", but you will see many slang terms such as 3-5-7, Three Five Seven, 357, etc... Some collectors don't even recognize it as a stand alone model designation.
    357007A.JPG
    Last edited by snakeman99; 08-13-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    sturmgewehr and boykin like this.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links