• 5 Post By BABYSITR
  • 1 Post By Mosby
  • 1 Post By oberon

Thread: Opinions/Help with OMS .38

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Opinions/Help with OMS .38

bought my first officers model. Shooter grade (what I wanted).. Timing and lockup look good..finish is decent..I'm hoping to have a fun 1950 revolver. It may have been repaired in past,I don't know..the ejector rod has a little damage,(works fine) grips could fit better, (very dried out).few spots that blue is gone. Would proper grips be plastic "coltwood"?. May have to get an old pair,but the targets feel great....Were these designed for wadcutters? I usually load 158gr. LSWC...Looks like its been shot a lot,and I'll bring it out of the mothballs. Looks all orig. except grips, but they are old!!...Looks like a wonderfully built revolver! haven't shot it yet, don't know what to expect! wanted a OMM and still do....please comment and teach me anything that I should know. Thank You for reading this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    824tsv, Mosby, moosedog and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3393 times
    Very nice!
    The OMS came with Coltwood plastic grips. I've always wanted one, but have never seen one for sale up here.
    Here's a brief history of the Model.
    Officer's Model

Member #
    Liked
    2415 times
    Congratulations on a great revolver. 148 grain wadcutter ammo is the classic load for these target revolvers. That said, there’s nothing wrong with 158 grain semi wadcutters either. Try a few different flavors to see what you and your gun like best. Although Coltwood grips are correct for this gun I personally think the target grips you have are much nicer and probably more comfortable. Thanks for sharing with with us.

Tom
    p.s. Make sure that side plate screw stays tight as that is obviously what caused the extra turn line.
    Last edited by Mosby; 08-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    BABYSITR likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    592 times
    I love the Officers Model Specials in 38 and 22.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1403 times
    I am shooting a combo of about 50/50 standard pressure 158 SWC and that same bullet loaded to plus P for 100 yard shooting. Wonderful range guns.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7871 times
    Colt usually set up their revolvers with 158 grain ammo, but almost all Match shooters used the 148 grain lead wadcutter Mid-Range load which was THE preferred Match ammo.
    You can still buy this load, or load your own.

I suspect some of the last Officer's Model Specials may have shipped with the new Colt Target grip, so those just might be original to the gun.
    In any case, they will feel better for actual use, and the First Type Colt fully checkered Target grips sell STARTING at at least $200 AND UP.

A Colt Archive letter usually doesn't list any information on what type grips a revolver shipped with, so you might be able to figure it out by when it was shipped. An model made before the last few months would have shipped with the Colt "Coltwood" plastic Service type grips.

Member #
    Liked
    537 times
    That's a beautiful, classic revolver. Buy yourself a box of wadcutters and a can of Bullseye and go have fun!

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    P1010001.JPGI enjoy the Officers Model Special in both .22 lr & .38 special. In this revolver I shoot both the 148 HBWC and 158 SWC using a target load of Bullseye powder.

I would also suggest to put some penetrating oil on the rear sight windage adjustment points and make sure it is free to move. You don't want to bugger the screw. That type of sight is called Coltmaster and can be found on the Woodsman Match Target, 2nd series also, maybe others. I think the Coltmaster sight is Special.
    Last edited by Beecherkid; 08-15-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added Information

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7871 times
    I just noticed in your pictures the second line on the cylinder in front of the usual line through the locking notches.

That happens when the front sideplate screw comes loose and contacts the cylinder.
    It's not common but is seen, so keep the plate screws snugly tightened.

Member #
    Liked
    8701 times
    This thing is the one I jumped on thinkin' it would be a great shooter. Well, I reckon it woulda been, if it wasn't new for all intents and practical purposes. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it after I got it. It is on consignment at the Tradin' Post for a couple more weeks.

It is in a nice presentation case and has the OE colt plastic grips, a box of vintage wadcutters, and the little screwdriver doodad thingy.
    Don't be surprised if it appears on the WTS section in the near future.
    BABYSITR likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links