Officers Model Special .22
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Officers Model Special .22

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Officers Model Special .22

Greetings. New member and first time poster. At a public auction a few months ago I won the bid on a Colt Officers Model Special .22, or so it is marked on the barrel. I have done some research and the SN 361xx is nowhere near the range of SN's listed for the OMS series. In addition, it has fixed sights, the rear being a groove in the top strap the the front a wide fixed post with horizontal fine grooves. It is in 95-98% condition, shoots quite accurately and to point of aim. Grips are a brown plastic material. Muzzle face is in-the-white/unblued. My question is, is this a gunsmith project (I think likely) or unusual factory issue? If a gunsmith project, he is/was a true artist as it is very well done. Thanks in advance for your help. Stay safe.

Medic6

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Welcome to the best gun board on the internet. You'll learn a lot about your new revolver here but we'll need some good pics of it.

Member #
    Liked
    3393 times
    Welcome,
    Pic's are a must for an inquiry like that.
    There is a picture posting "Sticky" in the Photos Area Forum. If you are having issues after following the step by step tutorial, I can walk you through it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    We’d have to see pics but IF I had to guess I’d say you have an official police 22 rebarreled with an OMS Barrel.
    A1A likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    592 times
    If it has fixed sites it is not an Officers Model Special.

Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    If it has fixed sites it is not an Officers Model Special.
    Reading the OP, it would seem that this might be a re-barreled Official Police.
    A1A likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Welcome from Bastrop, Texas
    Everything I know I learned from a cow.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7871 times
    During various eras Colt's serial number systems were very confusing.
    The post-war to mid-1950's period is one where it seems Colt was almost trying to confuse people.

In this case, that serial number of several models of .22 revolvers were in the Official Police .22 numbers.
    A 361XX serial number would have been for an Official Police .22 made in 1951.
    The numbers in that series began in 1951 at 35700.
    1952 started at 36800.

The "Coltwood" plastic grips and the barrel face in the white were standard during that period.
    It sounds like someone fitted your Official Police .22 with an Officer's Model Special barrel.
    The Officer's Model Special had a very fat barrel, used only on that model and is quite recognizable.

Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    Is it possible that this Colt has a mis-marked heavy barrel. Didn't Colt make a 6 inch Heavy Barrel for the O.P.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to all for your replies. I will provide pictures (hopefully) after the weekend as I will be out of town. Great to be a part of the Forum. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links