Colt Forum banner

Colt "Special Lady" Revolver

6K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  npike1236 
#1 ·
Just guessing, but am supposing the reaction of many is like mine was - had no idea such a thing existed. A LGS in CA has one and they're asking a hefty amount for it, am wondering about its worth. Keeping in mind that "rare doesn't always equal valuable". The Blue Book doesn't list a value either, citing only too few made to set a dollar amount.

I have a few handguns in the "about 200 or fewer made" category but none in single or low double digits.

#2 ·
Like most low production Colt's one in new condition with the original box and all papers would have value to a collector.
In used condition, it's worth what a buyer will be willing to pay.

In coming years, even a used one will increase in value, but how much and how fast is an unknown factor that varies from model to model with no definitive answer as to why one model will increase rapidly and one won't

#4 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I've always stayed away from Gender specific named pieces. Don't even particularly care for people referring to a firearm as Her or She but that's just me. Colt seemed to have done well with the Special Lady model as opposed to the Lady Smith & Wesson Editions. Those seem to have tanked early on. Now with that said I personally would not give a Colt Special Lady much thought especially at the current going prices unless it was at an almost give away but as always; to each to his/ her own.

#8 ·
Now, this really is a special little "Lady"...My wife collects them. (Smith & Wesson Ladysmith Third Model Target)

Attachments

#12 ·
I follow these, so I will tell you definitively. Only 250 made (basically a BSTS bobbed version of SF-VI with Special Lady roll mark), so they are not on the market all the time. In 2015 new in box sold for $7,000-$7,500. They are down, but still a new in box will run $5,000+. Unboxed in great shape $4,000-$4,500. They are easy to clean up due to being stainless and polished. Anything under $4,000 for the gun or under $5,000 for gun with box is a good deal. Since some came with picture sleeves and later ones with label on the blue box, the market differentiates slightly in favor of the sleeved guns by maybe 5%-10% all else being equal.

#15 · (Edited)
It's a chick gun! At least it isn't pink.:bang_wall: I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested at half the price (or original retail for that matter). Generally speaking low production is a direct result of low interest and low sales unless this was one of the many Colt contrived collectables. Was this a Lew Horton edition?

#17 ·
I’ve only saw one I recall and it was nib. At the time they were bringing 3k on GB and that’s exactly what it would have costed. I never liked the gun that much but I’ll admit, I would like to have one for my My Fiancé because she is my Special Lady. Anyone whom knows me, know I speak the truth there by my actions :).
Itd be hard for me to spend that much on a stainless 2.5 inch python, sold my last lew Horton parts clean up nib (with Original Sleeve) for 4K lol.
So I’m out of ever owning one unless someone gifts me one, but I can see why they bring the money. Cool little Colt!

#19 ·
I am not sure whether this was a Lew Horton product. I was not interested in it when it came out in mid-90s. I believe the original price was $600-$700, so the 10x increase (a little down from that now) is a pretty good return on investment. I don’t really like them, but I am happy to make money on them as an FFL. I also like the idea of having rare/scarce guns that few people have. Most Colts that are in that category that come to mind were low demand products for various reasons (bad design, not functional, redundant, past their prime, etc). A snub New Service, Aircrewman, .38 NP post-war models are examples of such guns. I have two Special Ladies that I got cheap through creative trades when market was at it’s peak. I wouldn’t mind picking up this one if someone tells me where it is. The plan is to keep the best one and sell the rest when it makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.