Thread: 38 revolver ammo question

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you for your imput

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My Dad carried a Colt "Cobra" as hid for his entire carreer in law enforcement either as an off duty or on duty as he was a detective for the majority of his carrer. When he retired he passed it on to me and i carried it for my full 30 year carrear. For qualifications and practice i carried simple FMJ .38 special rounds however for carry i carried hollow points. Today i carry it with Hornady critical duty as if GOD forbid i need it I want to stop the danger and if the pistol gets damaged better than I or an innocent does...

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    If you are looking for self defense ammo and have a +P rated revolver, Federals HST Micro .38 Special +P ammunition is designed to optimize performance in snub nose revolvers.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...-38-special-p/
    Harkrader likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    For day to day shooting, practice and otherwise, I shoot 148 grn wadcutters that I load myself with Bullseye powder. When the snubby gets put aside at home it is loaded with 158 grain lead swc HP, the FBI load that is normal pressure and not +P.
    highway08 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10029 times
    Cobras are something that you shoot enough to be familiar with, but thanks to their aluminum frames, they're not a daily (or even weekly) shooter - if you want to do that, get a Detective Special.

Cobras are excellent, powerful carry pieces.

Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    I've long been a believer in the venerable 158 gr. LSWCHP, but after a lot of research, I'm now convinced that the 135 +P Gold Dot is really the best bet in a snubby. I still have plenty of the 158 LSWCHP's and reload them in both .38 and .357, but they're now more of a woods gun/range load for me. If I'm carrying a snubbie for SD, it's generally loaded with the Gold Dots.

Have to agree, though, that the +P's are not a good idea in an old Cobra, and I wouldn't subject a Dick Special to a steady diet of them, either.
    Regards,
    Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Combat Cmdr .45, Spec. Combat Govt. .45, Det. Spec. .38, 6" Python .357 x2, Agent .38, Army Specials in .32-20, .38 Spc., & .41 LC, Police Positive Spec. .32-20, LE-6920MP

Member #
    Liked
    309 times
    I like Hornady Critical defense.
    Also Speer 38 Special +P Gold Dot Hollow Point Short Barrel.

That said, I knew a long-time LEO who carried only .38 Special round-nose. He said he counted on penetration more than expansion, and trusted that round to go through clothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links