Whats the best source for genuine colt cobra box and manual?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Whats the best source for genuine colt cobra box and manual?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by perrinyanna View Post
    What i saw in ebay is similar to this with wear arks due to age but priced at around $ 75? Pretty stiff price considering you are not looking at the actual box..
    Heck the fake one cost even more.....I buy all the real boxes I can find at reasonable prices....heck I sometimes get more excited over a box than the gun....no one throws the gun away but who cares about a card board box....I think $75 for a decent box is not bad if you really want one....but then I am a box kinda guy....RR

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2950 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Radicalrod View Post
    Well don't be such a wet blanket....

The point is to have a complete package even if it isn't the exact box shipped with the gun.....

Why don't we just throw away all our parts and boxes that we stash away since they aren't original to our guns....

I don't get your point....
    The point would be that "parts is parts" and they are often necessary to a gun's continuance and functionality.....and boxes that don't have the gun's actual serial number written on them from the factory in pencil, grease pencil, or some other valid period means are a little more real than fake boxes, but maybe not so much in my opinion. I certainly would not ascribe any financial value to them. That's just my opinion, and it may not be worth anything to anyone but me.
    Radicalrod and ColtsDad like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gus View Post
    eBay is about the only place but don’t buy from blovit, coltboxman, vikrant, anyone from TN, I would probably add KY to that unless you want a POS fake. And that’s me sugar coating it.,.. About 95% of the fake colt product I see come from these 2 states.
    And the people there all look alike, don't they?
    73shovel and DJDave like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    The point would be that "parts is parts" and they are often necessary to a gun's continuance and functionality.....and boxes that don't have the gun's actual serial number written on them from the factory in pencil, grease pencil, or some other valid period means are a little more real than fake boxes, but maybe not so much in my opinion. I certainly would not ascribe any financial value to them. That's just my opinion, and it may not be worth anything to anyone but me.
    Well we can agree on one thing I guess
    73shovel likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2950 times
    Rod

Actually I do see where you're coming from.

You like boxes....I like grips/stocks....I like to put ivory and other grips on my pistols and revolvers that did not have them as they left the factory, whether made currently by someone like Mike Poulin, or acquired by me because they were a "period" factory option. (I do always put the originals in a plastic bag with the gun's serial number in my special drawer .)

Al
    Last edited by 73shovel; 09-12-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Olle View Post
    And the people there all look alike, don't they?
    No but there sure are a lot of people there that like like to steal from Colt for personal gain. And just cause someone “dolls up” a fake, doesn’t make it any better. A fake is a fake and stealing is stealing. Colt owns the patents and trademarks they use to sell that reproduction TRASH. And they know it wouldn’t sell without it. I literally wouldn’t take the stuff if it were free. Actually when I see these fake items with a gun anymore, they are trash can bound. I will say I’ve only saw one person from KY selling fake stuff I recall. So maybe I shouldn’t include them. Wouldn’t surprised me if they all connected, you know the old saying, “Thick as Thieves”. It used to bother me a bunch and costed me some money. However it doesn’t as much now cause I already know this saying is 100% true, You Reap What You Sow. By You, that means everyone in general,, of course .
    Matthew 16:26
    Last edited by big_gus; 09-13-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Radicalrod View Post
    Heck the fake one cost even more.....I buy all the real boxes I can find at reasonable prices....heck I sometimes get more excited over a box than the gun....no one throws the gun away but who cares about a card board box....I think $75 for a decent box is not bad if you really want one....but then I am a box kinda guy....RR
    you mean the fake ones cost the same? but looks new or treated to make it look old too? because ive seen repros in ebay thats around $ 35 and the "real" looking ones with matching frayed edges are around $ 75...so i assumed it is genuine..

Member #
    Liked
    1022 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    Prior to the advent of the styrofoam shipping box in about 1973, Colt did not have a model specific manual for the double action revolvers. A 1971 Cobra would have been shipped in a two piece box with lift-off lid (sometimes called "telescoping"). The top of the box would have been covered with paper in a wood grain pattern and green on the inside. The bottom would have been green with gold Colt logos inside. The serial number would have been written on the outside bottom of the box in black marker. In the box would have been a Handling the Handgun booklet (probably H247-1) and a WC-68 warranty card. Hang tags and welcome letters showed up in the later 1970's.
    - Buckspen
    Attachment 652831Attachment 652833Attachment 652835Attachment 652837Attachment 652839
    I believe Buckspen's photos are for a box earlier than 1971.

Here are three original Colt boxes, a 1968 Cobra, 1968 Detective Special and a 1973 Detective Special. All three have the woodgrain top with black bottom and white grease-pencil-marked serial number. All have the red divider inside. I believe that a 1971 box would be identical to these. Buckspen is correct that the only inserts in most 1971-vintage boxes are the warranty card and the "Handling the Handgun" brochure but a 1971 Cobra box would also have a small yellow "Notice to Gunsmiths" warning not to attempt to remove the barrel (because of the aluminum-alloy frame).

photos1.jpg photos2.jpgphotos3.jpg
    Last edited by Blackjack33; 09-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    ColtsDad likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2706 times
    My apologies, Blackjack33 is correct. The box I showed in my photos is from the middle 1960's. (It's actually a Frontier Scout box, but all of the boxes for small revolvers were the same at that time.) The boxes shown in the post immediately above were used just prior to the switch to the styrofoam boxes.

- - Buckspen
    Blackjack33 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gus View Post
    No but there sure are a lot of people there that like like to steal from Colt for personal gain. And just cause someone “dolls up” a fake, doesn’t make it any better. A fake is a fake and stealing is stealing. Colt owns the patents and trademarks they use to sell that reproduction TRASH. And they know it wouldn’t sell without it. I literally wouldn’t take the stuff if it were free. Actually when I see these fake items with a gun anymore, they are trash can bound. I will say I’ve only saw one person from KY selling fake stuff I recall. So maybe I shouldn’t include them. Wouldn’t surprised me if they all connected, you know the old saying, “Thick as Thieves”. It used to bother me a bunch and costed me some money. However it doesn’t as much now cause I already know this saying is 100% true, You Reap What You Sow. By You, that means everyone in general,, of course .
    Matthew 16:26
    And you have seen how many from TN?

Gun repair and restoration

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links