Whats the best source for genuine colt cobra box and manual?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Whats the best source for genuine colt cobra box and manual?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Whats the best source for genuine colt cobra box and manual?

Aside from ebay...I have an itch to complete my newly acquired mint Cobra circa 70s thats missing its box and papers..thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times
    Check eBay. D-frame manuals are not uncommon there. Expect to spend $10-$20 but watch out for reproductions. They will add nothing to your package. As for a box, a legit 1970s box will have the original gun’s s/n written on the bottom so you’ll only increase the value of the package by what you spend for the non-matching box. They occasionally show up on eBay as well.

I believe a later 1970s package would also include a "Handling the Handgun" booklet, "the Colt Companion" booklet, a welcome letter, a hang tag and a small Repair Stations brochure. One from the early 1970s would not contain a manual or some of the above paperwork.

What year is your Cobra? When you have enough posts to receive private messages I can send you a photo of a complete package for your gun.
    Last edited by Blackjack33; 09-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    eBay is about the only place but don’t buy from blovit, coltboxman, vikrant, anyone from TN, I would probably add KY to that unless you want a POS fake. And that’s me sugar coating it.,.. About 95% of the fake colt product I see come from these 2 states.
    Last edited by big_gus; 09-12-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I checked it on Colt SN look up page and it said there 1971 cobra/agent...but i believe it was purchased maybe 2 years earlier because on year 1971 martial law was declared here and i believe sales and firearm importation was suspended..so on a separate thread i asked how "accurate" is Colt's website SN look up page..thanks will be looking forward to your cobra pics..

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1132 times
    Almost impossible now to know if anything "Box, accessory" related is legit. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just stating facts.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scstrain View Post
    Almost impossible now to know if anything "Box, accessory" related is legit. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just stating facts.
    Personally, it's gotten to the point, for me, that having a box is far more suspicious than without. I don't have the expertise that a number of folks have to truly know when a box is BS or not. I can get by but not if it's a high dollar gun so I simply consider the box to be fake and price the gun accordingly unless I know and/or trust the seller (e.g., someone from our Colt Forum!). YMMV.

Member #
    Liked
    2703 times
    Prior to the advent of the styrofoam shipping box in about 1973, Colt did not have a model specific manual for the double action revolvers. A 1971 Cobra would have been shipped in a two piece box with lift-off lid (sometimes called "telescoping"). The top of the box would have been covered with paper in a wood grain pattern and green on the inside. The bottom would have been green with gold Colt logos inside. The serial number would have been written on the outside bottom of the box in black marker. In the box would have been a Handling the Handgun booklet (probably H247-1) and a WC-68 warranty card. Hang tags and welcome letters showed up in the later 1970's.
    - Buckspen
    92619b.JPG92619i.JPGmagbox4.JPGa247.JPGwc1.JPG

Please see the correction to the above on the second page of this thread. This box is from the mid-1960's, not 1971. Sorry for the mistake. The paperwork is correct, though. - Buckspen
    Last edited by Buckspen; 09-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2930 times
    If the box is not original to the gun, really, what's the point?
    porsche likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    If the box is not original to the gun, really, what's the point?
    Well don't be such a wet blanket....

The point is to have a complete package even if it isn't the exact box shipped with the gun.....

Why don't we just throw away all our parts and boxes that we stash away since they aren't original to our guns....

I don't get your point....

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    Prior to the advent of the styrofoam shipping box in about 1973, Colt did not have a model specific manual for the double action revolvers. A 1971 Cobra would have been shipped in a two piece box with lift-off lid (sometimes called "telescoping"). The top of the box would have been covered with paper in a wood grain pattern and green on the inside. The bottom would have been green with gold Colt logos inside. The serial number would have been written on the outside bottom of the box in black marker. In the box would have been a Handling the Handgun booklet (probably H247-1) and a WC-68 warranty card. Hang tags and welcome letters showed up in the later 1970's.
    - Buckspen
    92619b.JPG92619i.JPGmagbox4.JPGa247.JPGwc1.JPG
    What i saw in ebay is similar to this with wear arks due to age but priced at around $ 75? Pretty stiff price considering you are not looking at the actual box..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links