Colt Forum banner

1942 Colt Commando

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Absalom 
#1 ·
Did early Commandos have silver medallions in the grips?
Thanks

#6 ·
In Pate's book he states that some early very early Commandos "have been noted with wood grips like those use on the Official Police." He also said those he handled he was unable to remove the stocks to see if they were numbered to the guns. He also said he felt that wood stocks may have been used during transition to Commando production from the Official Police. So it's possible. He also said Commando #1 was retained by the factory in the Colt Museum which I assume eventually went to the Wadsworth Atheneum and has probably been sold off. If that particular Commando could be examined that could be considered authoritative as to how early revolvers were equipped.

Reactions: Hootch56
#8 ·
The OP’s post isn’t entirely clear as to whether he means the pre-war OP wooden grips with medallion (as discussed by Kevin) or Commando-style brown plastic grips.

Since he specifically states SILVER medallions, he can’t mean the standard uni-color molded-in medallions as in elliotf’s photos.

There are some aftermarket brown plastic grips with silver plastic medallions. I don’t know the manufacturer. These are definitely NOT original.

#11 · (Edited)
I would agree the wood stocks may well be original for such an early example. Considering it was wartime and Colt was trying to build them as fast as possible and to keep costs down it would seem they would dispense with fitting wood stocks and writing the serial number on the backside of the wood panels. Once the plastic stocks were in the supply pipeline that would all be moot anyway.

#13 ·
As a point of reference, I have Commando SN 5216 from February 1943. Bought this gun at the 2018 Colt Collectors Association auction in Charlotte. It has wood grips with silver medallions. I assume they are original to the gun but don't really know for sure. Its letter has type of stocks as not listed.

Reactions: ei8ht
#17 · (Edited)
I'm not sure, but I don't believe the hammer sides were polished on Commando revolvers. Also, note that the ejector rod knob is case hardened; a part that seldom escapes a refinish.

Reactions: Hootch56
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.