Colt Model 1877 Thunderer?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Colt Model 1877 Thunderer?

Member #
    Liked
    68 times

This is hypothetical for learning how to begin evaluating old Colts, but I think this is an interesting enough specimen that it's worth the exercise. A LGS has this old (1901?) Colt 1877 Thunderer and they're asking $1,500. Based on what I'm seeing on the BB of gun values (I know many don't respect the BB, but it's a starting point), if it's in good condition, it should command a much higher price. How do I even begin to go about evaluating revolvers this old?
    HG-dgs3467-2.jpg
    SHOOTER13 and Kal collector like this.
    Jerry

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3362 times
    Look at some of the big auction houses like RIA and Morphy for the Model 1877 and you'll see where that one is an okay gun it's not considered a nice one comparably speaking.
    I'm going to say from what I can see in that picture that gun might top out at $750 on its' best day and that is because of its' longer barrel than normal. $1500 is way out of the ball park and that blue book of gun values has cost many a new collector a bunch of money through the years. Look at directly comparable ones at what they actually sold for and that will keep you on safe ground. Also, there is a fair amount of difference between the value of one of these say made in 1877 or 1878 and one that is made in 1901. Antiques in condition for condition always bring a premium than those made after 1898.
    jertex, mrcvs, SHOOTER13 and 7 others like this.
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    I agree with Coltsixguns. Way over priced. I bought a 3.5" 38 (Lightning) made about that same year and probably a little nicer for $750, there are plenty around for less than $1000. For that price you should be able to get an pretty decent antique one for around that price. Of course if you plan on shooting it you should probably look for a later one.
    tdennis
    SHOOTER13, jertex and sumthin_nu like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1881 times

Colt 1877 Thunderer, shipped 11 February 1880

I paid $1500 shipped for this one right off of this forum several months ago. I have included the factory letter since it has arrived recently. Mine has several things going for it over the one you are looking at. It's pre-1899, so antique, and no paperwork. It has the more desirable acid-etched barrel markings. And, above all, it has condition. These have a notoriously fragile action, so you want to ensure that the one you are looking at works properly, both in single and double action. It is common for these to not function properly and repairs can be expensive and there are few around who know how to fix these properly. In my photographs, any dullness noted in the photographs is due to Renaissance wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrcvs; 09-14-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Jertex.
    Just google " colt thunderer 1877./images."
    Then start clicking on the ones you want to compare.
    If they are from an auction, they will often have the $ prices.
    Interesting and informative.
    jertex and sumthin_nu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15465 times
    While you're searching, save several good, large file images of 1877s so you'll get an idea of a "nice" example. Read many detailed descriptions to get an idea of what characteristics bring a premium.
    jertex and sumthin_nu like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    479 times
    Here is a $1500 Thunderer with 2.5" barrel, also an antique 1885 or 86 can't remember for sure which but it has an etched panel.

EntireRightSideGun.jpgEntireLeftSideGun.jpg
    Last edited by tdennis; 09-15-2019 at 05:33 AM.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1881 times
    If you are trying to build up a database to determine what these are worth, and what to pay for one, here's one I got for a steal back in 2016. I didn't pay anywhere near what it's really worth, but I would guess in today's market it, too, would be about a $1500 firearm. The Colt 1877 is an excellent choice if you wish to collect a firearm with condition but at prices that will not break the bank. Their reputation for having a fragile action really hurts their reputation. My understanding is that these should be fired double action only, should you ever wish to fire one, as firing single action only can lead to malfunction.

In any event, the one I have posted is an antique, and it has a short 2 1/2" barrel without the ejector housing. These are more desirable than those with ejector housings, and short barrel lengths are popular. It is an antique, with an acid etched barrel, slightly less desirable because it contains a nickel rather than a blued and case coloured finish, and a bit less desirable because it is a Lightning rather than a Thunderer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    875 times
    Here is a link to one of the nicest ones I've seen in a while, and I believe it just sold last week. Was too high for my liking, but IS one of the nicest blued and cc '77's around.
    https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/...ntoryid=472811
    Colt-SL and jertex like this.
    sumthin_nu

MAM

Member #
    Liked
    1335 times

And there are ones that really show their age......but because they come to you by way of family and you being last man standing you become the steward of these old Colts. Mine is from 1902.
    Last edited by MAM; 09-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links