Colt Forum banner

Colt Trooper fair price

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  ColtBlkPowder 
#1 ·
I'm looking for my first Colt revolver and I've been planning on starting with either a Detective Special or a Trooper. I want a quality gun that's a shooter. I don't buy guns to be safe queens unless I just happen to come across the deal of a lifetime. According to my LGS, this .357 magnum trooper is a 1968 version and, as you'll see in the pictures, has a lot of cosmetic challenges from holster wear. Somebody also decided to sand the checkering off of the grips.

That being said, it appears to have been fired very little and lockup is as tight as any new revolver I've seen. The bore is bright, rifling is sharp, and the timing seems right on. I'd like opinions on a fair offer. I suspect that they're asking too much @ $699, but they will negotiate.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that is very high considering the condition. The side plate fits poorly and is off color. The plate looks to have been refinished (Rampant colt very weak) while the rest of the gun is worn. I think you should be able to do better. If the price is really $375 then mabie.

#5 ·
It's a $400 gun at best. The buyer is taking all the risk since so much of the revolver is questionable.

Reactions: smkummer and jertex
#14 ·
"Fired very little" is not evidenced by the serious cylinder ring mark.
A picture of the breech face will tell all. Plus it looks that this revolver was put away laying on one side for a long time that eroded the finish. Condition is everything.

Its a U$450-500.00 revolver if it locks up tight.

Reactions: jertex
#16 ·
jertex: Very wise that you posted pics and cost on this forum before you purchased. Members that posted have lots of knowledge on Colt revolvers. Follow there advice. They just saved you from making a big mistake.

#17 ·
Lots of good ones out there, shop around at that price you should be able to do MUCH better on condition. Other than the Python and Diamondback I have less than $700 dollars in the Trooper 357 Magnum, Detective Special, Official Police, Police Positive. I do have original grips for all and original boxes w/papers for half of them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.