Like Tree111Likes

Thread: A Pair of Target Revolvers from the 1930's

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 824tsv View Post
    Beautiful revolvers!
    Do you have any info to share on the owner? Googling AJ Palmer or Andrew J Palmer JR doesn't bring anything up.
    I have read about Mr. Palmer in a couple of old newspaper articles. One where he and several other target shooters from his shooting club had a match against several members of the Hartford police pistol team. Those members included J. Henry Fitzgerald of Colt as well as Captain Ed Langrish.
    SHOOTER13, Mosby and jac1010 like this.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Cam,
    Does the New Service Target actually have a special order 5 1/2" barrel or is it 6" and the letter is in error? As you know the standard NS Target barrel was 7 1/2" with a very few made with 6" barrels. These are the only barrel lengths I have ever seen on the Target model. If the barrel is indeed 5 1/2" it would have been a special order feature and very, very rare if not unique.
    John. I should have mentioned that the barrel is indeed a 6" so I can only assume that it was a typo as most of the .44 Russian chambered Colt revolvers were of the 5 1/2" length.
    Colt-SL and Mosby like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13389 times
    Cam, two more exquisite acquisitions my friend! And to think, I USED to look up to Indiana Jones. HA; just a piker compared to you!
    thecoltguy, SHOOTER13 and Mosby like this.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 824tsv View Post
    Beautiful revolvers!
    Do you have any info to share on the owner? Googling AJ Palmer or Andrew J Palmer JR doesn't bring anything up.
    Here is one of the newspaper articles that I was referring to. You will see A.J. Palmer's name listed with the five civilian shooters. This match was held at the range of Remington Arms Company.

And this was the event that Captain Ed Langrish debuted his gift from J. Henry Fitzgerald, an engraved Shooting Master that also sits in our collection:

I guess it was possible that A.J. Palmer was using one of the two Colt revolvers shown above on that day as well as Captain Langrish using the engraved Shooting Master.

Member #
    Liked
    2576 times
    Those are wonderful Cam! I would like to see the back side of the stocks with the medallion if you get around to it. Love the Ropers on the other gun!
    thecoltguy and Mosby like this.
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    17865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skilled View Post
    Those are wonderful Cam! I would like to see the back side of the stocks with the medallion if you get around to it. Love the Ropers on the other gun!
    Travis. Here are pictures of both sets from the two guns shown. The set from the NST with the medallions has the small square notches for a jig fixture but it also has vertical milling machine end mill marks and I don't think that Matheis Gagne made the Roper Stocks back then using a machine. Kwill (Kevin Williams) wrote an article on the Ropers and maybe he could give us his opinion. I will e-mail him and ask if he can take a look.

Medallion stocks:

Note milling machine marks:

Roper stocks on Shooting Master:

Mosby, Kurusu and Jackson like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2576 times
    Cam,
    Thanks for posting. I will check some of mine, but I am almost positive I have several pairs the have the vertical milling machine end mill marks. I will post some pictures. I am leaning toward Roper in my opinion. However as for the medallions.... I know he did some with them at least for S&W that I have seen in his illustrations. Now did he install these?? I don't know that we will ever know the answer to that one.
    Mosby likes this.
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

Member #
    Liked
    2563 times
    Congratulations on another great pair of Colt revolvers from in my opinion a period which gave us the best of the best. Glad they are in the hands of a caretaker who appreciates them and is willing to share them with us and preserve the history. Kudos!

Tom
    824tsv, thecoltguy and Kurusu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1757 times
    beautiful as always Cam.
    Mosby and thecoltguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Absolutely Magnificent additions to an already spectacular collection and lettered to a top rated competitive shooter of yesterday. I notice that the NST has the Shooting Master smooth cylinder latch release and the Shooting Master has the checkered release. Also on the Shooting Master does the letter state that the Micro rear was factory applied? I like that and the build up of the Patridge front sight, that must present a clear sight picture. In addition would the NST barrel be a left over from the 44 Russian chambering days? I notice that it has the bolster barrel and not the straight wall stove pipe that some of the older barrels exhibit. I get excited by all these minute details especially in factory custom guns. Again just outstanding!
    Mosby and thecoltguy like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links