2019 Colt King Cobra - Good, Bad, Ugly
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2019 Colt King Cobra - Good, Bad, Ugly

Member #
    Liked
    6439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRiver View Post
    Here are a few pics of the issue with the ejector rod. I have competed in USPSA revolver class, I reload using the “stress fire” technique. ...

The question I have... do I send it to Colt to get a new ejector rod? Or, I am considering having a gun smith just polish the ejector rod and take the knurling right off. It serves no purpose to me... and it would give the rod another 1/4” of travel for better ejection. The rod would travel completely inside the crane arm like a J Frame. I suppose that would void the warranty though...

I never thought to run the ejection rod like I was under stress in the gunstore. I was too busy enjoying the trigger and comparing the size to the J & K frames...
    Here's what I would do so you don't have to alter your unloading technique. I'd first call Colt or write them, and explain the problem. That way they can make a modification to their design somehow. The next generation of these will be fixed, perhaps, because you informed them.

Then I would go to a gunsmith and ask them to modify your gun themselves. I'm thinking a brazed "washer" around the base of the knurling would do the trick, or they could peen it wider, etc. There has to be a good way to "stop" the rod, I've never thought about it on the older guns, but they had a screw on knob, at a larger diameter. That's what you need, a larger diameter. So a washer, or maybe they could cut the rod some, thread an old type knob, if it would fit the into the rod shroud.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I just got off the phone with Colt customer service.

They informed me that they are aware of the issue. It is fixable at home by taking various grades of sandpaper / emery cloth and reducing the amount the knurled end protrudes. Just remove material until it no longer sticks. Apparently that is all their service department is going to do if you mail it to them... so you can save yourself the time and resolve the issue at home.

The knurling serves no function other than assembly. (To counter hold the rod while torquing the internal set screw). Newer KC’s have an Allen Head machined into the end of the ejector rod for the counter hold now... so I guess the knurling is astetic only at this point. And serves to functional purpose to the owner or assembly team.
    BubbaShakers and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Repair Update...

Ten minutes with various grades of metal polishing paper and the ejector rod operates flawlessly.

If anyone from Colt reads these forums real simple quality control would be just to eliminate the knurling all together since it serves to function to the owner. Or polish down the rough edges. It doesn’t take much work to remove the small amount of material that allows the rod to drop into the crane arm maybe 1/8” deeper and the rod will run smooth as a baby’s bottom.

I attached a pic of the finished “repair”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MarkInTx, Olle and KellyCB11 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    New grips from Altamont.

There was a very minor amount of play with the grips installed so I used a bit of 3M sticky back felt to snug it up.

AB1D2C51-07E9-4EBA-B4E8-B383E15DCFEE_1569704786142.jpg
    usgi1911A1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1083 times
    My first attempt at putting new grips on my KC were the VZs. The first set seemed to be tight but after firing a few cylinders off 38 Special ammo they became loose. I sent them back to VZ for a replacement set and the 2'nd set was loose from the get go. I next got a set of Altamonts from a friend at Colts (the same grips they put on the Night Cobra) and they fit perfectly and have not become loose. The third time is a charm I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Thanks for that comp pic!
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Member #
    Liked
    3986 times
    Repair Update...

Ten minutes with various grades of metal polishing paper and the ejector rod operates flawlessly.

If anyone from Colt reads these forums real simple quality control would be just to eliminate the knurling all together since it serves to function to the owner. Or polish down the rough edges. It doesn’t take much work to remove the small amount of material that allows the rod to drop into the crane arm maybe 1/8” deeper and the rod will run smooth as a baby’s bottom.

I attached a pic of the finished “repair”
    Nice fix, and it looks better too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    New grips from Altamont.

There was a very minor amount of play with the grips installed so I used a bit of 3M sticky back felt to snug it up.

AB1D2C51-07E9-4EBA-B4E8-B383E15DCFEE_1569704786142.jpg
    Did you get the extra grip pin with your Altamonts (fits in the hole at the bottom of the grip frame)?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Yes the new grip pin did come from Altamont. It was very loose compared to others. I’m used to having to gently tap them in / out. This one just slid in.

Adding just a small amount of stickyback felt really snuggled up the fit nice.

I haven’t had a chance to shoot it with the new grip yet. The Altamont grip is more filling in the palm than the rubber grip. I will post an update once a get a chance to run both specials and magnums through it with the new grip

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    New member, first post. I am the proud owner of a 1994 KC 6" stainless and am very interested in acquiring the new KC Carry. It is my understanding that Colt offers the carry in a DA/SA that does not have the bobbed hammer. I'm seeing these on Gun Broker, but Colt's website does not picture the hammered DA/SA at all.

Is there a distinct advantage to one over the other other than the draw advantage of a bobbed hammer? I'm thinking that I would prefer the "hammered" version but can't find any reviews...I know that these are a newer offering.

Thoughts, opinions??? Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links