Help Identifying a couple of Officers Models
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help Identifying a couple of Officers Models

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Help Identifying a couple of Officers Models

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but hoping the forum members can help.

I obtained the pair recently and my research shows the 6 in .22 cal, OMM pictured on the right, serial 75774, to be of 1958 vintage. However, I'm having some trouble with the 5 in .38 special revolver on the left. The closest match for sn 644361 on the Colt serial lookup is for an Official Police circa 1940, which doesn't look correct. Is it possible this could be an Officers Model Target instead?

Also any info on the stocks these two are sporting would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    HeavyMetal
    Photo 1.jpg

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    18014 times
    It's an Officers Model Target that dates to 1940. You should get a letter on it as I have never seen a 5" Heavy Barrel OMT. If it letters as such it is quite rare. Are the markings on the barrel clear, can't tell from the photos. I am just wondering if it has been cut down from a 6".

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the markings are pretty worn and I'm having trouble reading them, need to get it under some higher magnification with better lighting. Barrel looks original to me but have to admit the idea of a cut down hadn't occurred to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11770 times
    Looks like the OMT has British proofs. Been buffed pretty hard, and front sight attachment doesn't look quite right. Better photos would certainly help.
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2170 times
    The OMT has been buffed hard as JohnnyP noted and reblued. The cylinder release looks like a post war part as it lacks checkering and the stocks are definitely from the 1950's. 1940 sounds about right for the manufacturing date, my OMT .38 in the high 640,000 S/N range shipped in February 1940.

Regarding the OMM, it has a checkered cylinder release which is incorrect. A previous owner mixed up the parts from the two guns when working on them ?
    Also, are those lanyard ring studs on the butts ?
    Rick Bowles likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8036 times
    The grips on your revolvers are non-original replacements.

These are the famous Colt Target grips introduced in 1953 as standard on the Officer's Model Match, and as an option on the 357 Model, and the original Trooper.
    These all used Silver Colt medallions.
    In 1955 when the Python was introduced the same grips with Gold medallions were standard on it.

These early First Type Colt Target grips sell here for a good bit of money, usually starting well above $200 AND UP.
    Obviously, when the Colt Target grips became available some previous owner bought a pair to fit these Target revolvers.

Colt only offered a 5 inch barrel on the Second Issue Colt Officer's Model made from 1908 to 1926.
    So, it's either a possible special order from Colt, or more likely it was cut down from a 6 inch barrel.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 09-29-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Here is another OMT, (6") no. 646228, (not owned by me) which was procured by the British. This .38 Special one has been reamed out to to take the British service cartridge

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8036 times
    It's interesting that full-on Target match revolvers would have lanyard rings installed.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    The British would have done that once they received it. It's a standard type of Enfield component.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8036 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk VII View Post
    The British would have done that once they received it. It's a standard type of Enfield component.
    I understand that the rings are not Colt factory.
    I just can't figure out why a Target revolver designed to be used in Match shooting would need a ring.

Possibly there was a type of match in England that was for military configuration revolvers and a lanyard ring was needed to qualify.
    Something like the US National Matches shot with military configuration rifles and pistols.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links