3258 times
    Yes.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1788 times
    Quote Originally Posted by plainolddave View Post
    ... Saw there was a New Navy model, and as a retired Navy Veteran, I thought having a Navy sixgun might be good.
    Just a reminder that the civilian “New Navy” had nothing to do with the Navy. The .41 was not a military issue caliber.

As for the differences between the New Army and New Navy, on the commercial model, thus including the .41, the grips are indeed the only thing relevant. On the military .38 variant, it gets a bit more complicated.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    Just a reminder that the civilian “New Navy” had nothing to do with the Navy. The .41 was not a military issue caliber.

As for the differences between the New Army and New Navy, on the commercial model, thus including the .41, the grips are indeed the only thing relevant. On the military .38 variant, it gets a bit more complicated.
    And about 1893 the gun was redesigned with the cylinder rotating the "correct" direction, clockwise. These guns are far stronger, but are still somewhat fragile. The army special is a stronger gun.
    I have a 1892 DA 41, it turns backwards like S&W. Haven't fired it yet, but will soon. Need to order dies and components. These older guns are blackpowder only. I just purchased a 1877 Thunderer in 41 Colt, which will be a shooter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1176 times
    The Army Special in .41 Colt is a fine revolver. Ultramax used to load a nice heeled bullet load. Olin loaded some hollow base ammo but it's in the 'collector' category unless you stumble onto a forgotten box somewhere. I second the advice about reading Everything you ever wanted to know about the 41 Long Colt. Old West Bullet Moulds used to be a good source of moulds and dies for heeled bullets. Cimarron catalogs (CA3054) a Lightning in 41 Colt with a 3.5" Barrel. From what I have read, it is a three click single action, slightly scaled down, with a frame mounted firing pin made for the by Uberti. It is intriguing. If anyone has any experience with one of them, This might be a good time to speak up.

AP_18442.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old tanker; 10-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    73shovel likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links