Advice on a 2-inch Official Police is appreciated!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Advice on a 2-inch Official Police is appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    40 times

Advice on a 2-inch Official Police is appreciated!

Ran into a owner of a post-war 2-inch Official Police. He told me he would be willing to part with it for 1200-dollars. This Colt is in very good condition and has original stocks. No box, no paperwork just the revolver. I backed off thinking that price is a little too steep, even for a two-inch OP. I would appreciate any feedback on his asking price. Gunbroker has numerous OP's for sale, no two-inchers, and most run from 300-600 dollars, with special like new OP's going higher. Does 1200-bucks sound too high for this described OP?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5479 times
    Without pics it's difficult to judge the condition. If the gun has the original finish and in the condition you describe, the asking price of $1200 is quite reasonable. I collect Official Police revolvers and the 2" variety are quite scarce.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    2017 times
    Well.without pictures it is worthless!
    I am beginning to be skeptical of new posters asking for evaluations like this as just recently a poster was fishing for sales. If legit, post clear close up pics and folks will be more willing to help.
    Don't mean to sound rude but the more you provide the more the forum can help you.
    Last edited by Ronald12; 10-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6445 times
    In this case I think the poster is trying to decide if HE should buy it.
    davidabney likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    In this case I think the poster is trying to decide if HE should buy it.
    I agree. It also would be difficult to get pictures if you do not own the gun. I would recommend doing a thorough search of completed sales and auctions to determine price on items in similar condition. Snakeman99's answer was a good one.

Jim

Member #
    Liked
    6445 times
    I am also interested in genuine 2" OP values. But with rare items like this, it's hard to find completed sales. Here is one that sold for $2875, and another sold for $2588.
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...barrel-and-box
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...ver-38-special
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2017 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmh1 View Post
    I agree. It also would be difficult to get pictures if you do not own the gun. I would recommend doing a thorough search of completed sales and auctions to determine price on items in similar condition. Snakeman99's answer was a good one.

Jim
    It not that difficult to get pics If someone is going to sell an item, then they should not have any problem giving pics.Regardless. any evaluation is just a guest at this point and not helpful.

Member #
    Liked
    1695 times
    Here is one on Gunbroker for $1,200. It just restarted today. I was thinking about it, but didn’t pull the trigger since I have several in better condition. However, if someone needs their first, this one is quite reasonable.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835843706
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Thanks all for your input. Some of you might find it difficult to believe that a man goes around without a cellphone hanging off me all the time. I didn't have one available at the time I viewed this 2" OP. The scathing rebuke I received from one senior poster up there indicates he is not aware of this phenomena, nor does he know me. One can visualize a very good conditioned OP with the mind the good Lord gave us and offer an opinion of whether the cost is too great, just right, or not to touch, without demanding a photo as "proof" of ones question! If describing, and not showing, is offensive to the senior poster, then please accept my apologies in advance! My motive was simply tapping into the wisdom, residing in the Colt Forum!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22701 times
    David, Snakeman and Winston Wolfe are well regarded collectors of such guns, so their advice is very good. I have looked for a nice original OP with a 2-inch barrel for many years, locally, and have never found one. I would warn you that 2" barrels with OP markings can be installed on Colt Marshal frames (round butt) to create what appears to be an original gun. There were also quite a few RB 4" OP's purchased by some police forces that could have been converted to 2" models. Caveat emptor!
    spacecoast1 and davidabney like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links