• 3 Post By poudreverte
  • 2 Post By dfariswheel
  • 1 Post By dandak

Thread: Colt 1877 : Hypothetical small springs replacement

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Colt 1877 : Hypothetical small springs replacement

Most of modern guns use wire spring instead of flat springs because they are easier and cheaper to produce, and more durable. I was wondering if it could be possible to use wire springs as a replacement of small flats springs on the colt 1877. I know collectors want only original parts on their favorites guns, but it could be interesting especially for those who can't find them to repair a old Lightning with missing or broken springs (USA shops don't ship gun parts to Europe for example) or just as a theorical study.
    vue1.JPG Cut1.JPG
    I used my 3D modeled Lightning to imagine wire spring shapes replacing the original springs (except for the mainspring) without modifying the other parts. Actually the hand is a little bit modified to a "SAA style" without its little pin, and the roller is simply removed from the trigger.

Following pictures compare original / New parts :
    Compare1.jpg Compare2.jpg Compare3.jpg
    I don't know if I will try to try it for real, but i guess it could work !
    Did somebody already make custom springs for the 1877 ? Please let me know your ideas and experience.
    Rick Bowles, Kurusu and MarkInTx like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7953 times
    It's possible to make a wire spring to work where a flat spring is used.
    As example some people replace the flat action springs in replicas of Winchester 1973 rifles with new wire parts.
    Brownell's sell these last time I looked.

Another option I've used in the past is to use clock springs as donor parts.
    Clock springs come in many, many sizes and strengths and can be rather easily converted into gun springs.
    Kurusu and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    What would keep the cylinder stop/bolt spring from turning on the sear. I would think that spring would interfere with the sear as well...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    Interesting idea. Looking at your pictures gave me flashbacks to when I used to repair these things...years ago....I sometimes even made my own flat springs...yikes. Your wire spring idea may have made my life easier, but I'll never know as I am through with fixing these things!!! Make them and let us know how they work, it may make things easier for those who do work on them!
    poudreverte likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek73 View Post
    What would keep the cylinder stop/bolt spring from turning on the sear. I would think that spring would interfere with the sear as well...
    doublWS.JPG
    Thank you for your observation.
    Actually this spring has an action on both the cylinder stop and the sear. I add 2 more pictures where you can better see how it is attached to the sear (same action, force and direction as the original 2 legs double spring)
    spirals77a.JPGspirals77b.JPG
    Last edited by poudreverte; 10-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links