22 WRF question???
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 22 WRF question???

Member #
    Liked
    2736 times
    The Winchester WRF bullet is copper plated, not a "real" jacket. It should be ok to shoot in either rifle or pistol. I don't have any of the CCI to check. Expect to pay about $15-$20 per box of 50. I bought a brick of the Winchester ammo a couple of years ago and paid $100 for the brick. I thought that was a bit pricey at the time but now it looks like it was a pretty good deal!
    Last edited by area51guy; 11-04-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    9375 times
    You can shoot WRF in a 22 mag. It works exactly the same as shooting a 22 short or long in a gun marked for 22 long rifle. The WRF and 22 mag are both 224 , the mag just is slightly longer. I had this 1890 Winchester re chambered from 22 WRF to accept 22 mag. My gunsmith said it was safe but since I had it done someone else thought it not safe. The gun already had a pistol grip stock with a cheek piece added before I had it re chambered. It shot just fine.

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    During The Great .22 Ammo Scare I was at a local gun shop. They had about 50 boxes of .22 WRF on the shelf, which I grabbed about 10 of. The counter guy kept saying, "you know, these are NOT .22 LR right?" I kept saying "I know". They had them priced for about $4/box. Must have bought too many and had a lot of confused customers, and wanted them gone.
    Chaffee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5823 times
    Aguila in Mexico produces .22 WRF in limited runs. Check with their US arm. Click on the "special products" tab in the red bar and scroll halfway down the page. Currently, Midway USA and Cheaper than Dirt has CCI .22 WRF in stock, but costs more than 9mm ammo.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cci-...683000699.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301126619

Last edited by po18guy; 11-04-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    I was given a box of Winchester 22 WRF a few years ago, but never got around to trying it out in either rifle or revolver. Couldn't find anything on the Winchester packaging indicating it should not be used in revolvers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Great info, thanks everybody!!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    I was given a box of Winchester 22 WRF a few years ago, but never got around to trying it out in either rifle or revolver. Couldn't find anything on the Winchester packaging indicating it should not be used in revolvers.
    These should be loaded with Winchester's "Lubaloy" bullets . No trouble using these in any 22 WRF .
    I don't think I'd shoot them in your Ruger though .
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
    These should be loaded with Winchester's "Lubaloy" bullets . No trouble using these in any 22 WRF .
    I don't think I'd shoot them in your Ruger though .
    I shoot them often in my Ruger single six with the 22 Mag cylinder installed. When toting a cool 1890 Winchester like this one in 22 WRF, I've GOT to have a single action revolver loaded in the same caliber in my belt holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walter Rego and MrRush like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    The safety factor depends on the exact diameter of your bore. Some Colt's are tighter, and therefor the jacked version of the WRF should not be shot in them. If you have a bore that has grooves at the bullet diameter, or no more than .001 larger, you can shoot jacketed. But some pistol bores are tighter than that, so CCI puts the warning for ALL pistols.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7449 times
    My statement was related to the cost and availability of 22 WRF ammo ... Seemed like 22 WMR would be the way to go .

Either way , enjoy !
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links