I've exhausted my research on this Offical Police...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: I've exhausted my research on this Offical Police...

Member #
    Liked
    7501 times

I've exhausted my research on this Offical Police...

According to Paul at Colt Archives the Colt left the factory as a Official Police on March 01, 1930 and went to H.D. Folsom in New York. (You know the city that makes Salsa...LOL). Sometime in 1934 +/-, the revolver went to Kings. The Official Police barrel was removed and a Tapered “Officers Model 38 Heavy Barrel “ was installed.

Along with this alteration was the King Mirror/ orange dot front Sight was added, and something even Paul hadn’t seen was a Adjustable rear sight fitted into the sight channel of the Official Police receiver. A Target Hammer and Target trigger was added and a white spacer added in the grip panels to suit the shooter.

“VP” left trigger bob and the letter “T” stamped above serial number on Crane frame.

The owner that I received the gun from, was my Captain at Carson Station in 1976. He began his career with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department on March 21, 1952 and Honorably retired as a Division Chief, (4th from the Top) on January 01, 1983. Chief Wheatley a close friend all these years, and lived a couple of miles from me, passed away in February of this year. But Jim failed to tell me where or how he obtained the revolver.. So now, it’s all speculation, but he did have it it his entire career. Jim always remarked he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, I think that must have been tongue in cheek remarks.

My personal observations after an extensive cleaning and shooting, is the gun is very accurate. Though it does work double action, it’s not as smooth as the single action function. feels like I must have missed some varnish someplace. Jim stated the last time he had fired it was mid 1950’s when he made Sgt., and was transferred to Vice. Probably the last time he was in uniform. I know that after talking to surviving family members, Jim’s father did not own the gun, best to their knowledge, but that’s not set in concrete. I refused to shoot the gun anymore. It deserves to be retired.

EDIED: I also would like to mention that anyone who may have worked with Jim in his early years, have also passed, so they are no help. The LASD Muesuem and Archives doesn’t have any firearm information relating to private ownership of personal firearms.

Pictures removed
    Last edited by Kid Sopris; 12-05-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    2110 times
    That’s a nice piece Michael - the story is even better .
    I have no answers for you , but I’d bet money someone HERE has some valid answers.
    i also think it’s GREAT you have his badge .

im sure you have great memories of Jim , and he’s cool with his badge n heater in your possession.

Good Luck with your answers , hopefully the knowledgeable member reads soon.
    Maybe modify the heading with revolver type and/or some key words
    COLT TO THE CORE

Member #
    Liked
    2610 times
    That is an awesome revolver. Thanks for sharing it with us. We have a ca. 1937 Officers model with King sights and modified for single action only use, which is at the top of my list of favorite shooters. But we don’t have the great story to go along. Again, thank you for sharing this with us.

Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    It’s a pleasure to read these type of posts, thanks for sharing!
    Kid Sopris and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4488 times
    Kid you really should write all your life experiences (LASD, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum/Foundation, etc) into a book - you have some pretty "bonafides"!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    That is an awesome revolver. Thanks for sharing it with us. We have a ca. 1937 Officers model with King sights and modified for single action only use, which is at the top of my list of favorite shooters. But we don’t have the great story to go along. Again, thank you for sharing this with us.

Tom
    Tom - here's my 1937 King Super Target, SAO; I'll PM you the SN to see how close they are!

Member #
    Liked
    12660 times
    A great story and a beautiful gift from a Brother in Blue...

I'm Sure You Will Treasure It Mike !!

jeepnut711 and Kid Sopris like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtsDad View Post
    That’s a nice piece Michael - the story is even better .
    I have no answers for you , but I’d bet money someone HERE has some valid answers.
    i also think it’s GREAT you have his badge .

im sure you have great memories of Jim , and he’s cool with his badge n heater in your possession.

Good Luck with your answers , hopefully the knowledgeable member reads soon.
    Maybe modify the heading with revolver type and/or some key words
    +1
    Kid Sopris likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    Fantastic revolver with great history! Thanks for sharing.
    Kid Sopris likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    919 times
    Very cool gun! Looks like a S&W sight and I believe, possibly a King Hammer. I know I’ve saw that hammer several times before, I can’t recall the make, it’s a “good” one tho.
    Kid Sopris likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Did King make the target hammer and trigger? 30 plus years ago, a friend of mine owned a Python and wanted a wider smooth trigger on it. I took his trigger and had it welded up on the sides. I reshaped it to look like a S&W trigger and my friend was happy.
    jeepnut711 and Kid Sopris like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links