Need some Police Positive Special help......
Like Tree14Likes
  • 5 Post By Radicalrod
  • 8 Post By thecoltguy
  • 1 Post By Radicalrod

Thread: Need some Police Positive Special help......

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5442 times

Need some Police Positive Special help......

Well with your help the Bankers Special was solved now I hope you can send me down the correct path on this PPS....

Who is Harold E Murphy ? Looks like they sent him a free 2" PPS in June of 1926. I have found nothing......

From my reading last night this is an extremely early 2" as I read they came out in July and this one says June....

Last edited by Radicalrod; 11-26-2019 at 08:32 AM.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    18189 times
    Rod. What you have is a pre-Detective Special. These came out in early 1926 due to the interest from plain clothes officers. I have owned them with ship dates as early as March. They were first sent to a few of the large Police Agencies such as the Los Angeles Police Department and the Detroit Police Department. While I can't say who Harold E. Murphy was he did get 1 out of an order of 100 of these. Colt was trying to promote the short barrel Police Positive Special and it would not surprise me that they sent a few of these out to folks who could help promote interest.

Here are two brochures. One shows the Police Positive Special in 2" and the second shows the Detective Special brochure. Note the change in the barrel markings.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5442 times
    Cam I have the Detective Special flyer so looks like I need to look for the PPS flyer....

I am glad you post pics of these as it gives me incentive to dig through the piles of paper at the shows....RR
    thecoltguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2230 times
    Interesting that Colt's referred to the 2" PPS as a "stub" nosed revolver. I have not heard that one before.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links