• 2 Post By Willrad
  • 1 Post By WVCOLT

Thread: Willrad

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Willrad

Hello All,
    I have a Colt single action frontier scout 22lr, gold plated. The other side of the barrel reads "1858 Colorado gold rush 1878". It was a gift from my Aunt after her husband passed away many years ago. He worked at the Colt plant in Hartford Ct. I have never fired it because he had apparently removed the floating firing pin. Any advice on how to install the floating firing pin? Also, I don't see any serial number.Is it possible that is inside someplace? Look forward to hearing from you.
    SHOOTER13 and WVCOLT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2860 times
    The Colorado Gold Rush .22 was made by Colt in 1966. Serial numbers ranged from 1CG to 1350CG and can be found on the bottom of the frame just in front of the trigger guard. The firing pin, spring and recoil cup are held in by a cross pin just in front of the top of the hammer. I have changed/installed a firing pin in a Frontier Scout just one time. As I recall it was not difficult. The main thing is to be very careful in seating the cross pin to avoid scratching the finish of the gun. Any Frontier Scout or Buntline Scout firing pin, spring, cup and pin will fit, but in your case, to make it look right, you will need the recoil cup and pin in gold plated finish. I have a wide assortment of Scout parts but I have these parts only in blue finish, not in gold. The Colt part numbers (blue finish) are: firing pin - 51716, firing pin spring - 51717, recoil cup - 51715 and recoil cup pin - 95000.
    I sometimes see gold plated Scout parts for sale on eBay. Also Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp. may have some. You can also find a schematic for the Scout on the web somewhere. If not, I would be happy to copy one that I have and sent it to you. If the mismatched colors don't bother you, I could also send you the parts you need.
    If it were mine, I would put the blue parts in and shoot the gun and hope to find the correct gold plated parts at some time in the future.

- -Bruce

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23908 times
    Maybe your uncle took out the parts for that Colt, one-piece-at-a-time, and assembled it. that might explain the absence of a serial number.
    krag96 and theprofessor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12757 times
    Welcome to the COLT Forum !!

Enjoy Our Community...

We are all looking forward to pictures of your Colt Frontier Scout SA.

824tsv, krag96 and WVCOLT like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

colt

Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    The Colorado Gold Rush .22 was made by Colt in 1966. Serial numbers ranged from 1CG to 1350CG and can be found on the bottom of the frame just in front of the trigger guard. The firing pin, spring and recoil cup are held in by a cross pin just in front of the top of the hammer. I have changed/installed a firing pin in a Frontier Scout just one time. As I recall it was not difficult. The main thing is to be very careful in seating the cross pin to avoid scratching the finish of the gun. Any Frontier Scout or Buntline Scout firing pin, spring, cup and pin will fit, but in your case, to make it look right, you will need the recoil cup and pin in gold plated finish. I have a wide assortment of Scout parts but I have these parts only in blue finish, not in gold. The Colt part numbers (blue finish) are: firing pin - 51716, firing pin spring - 51717, recoil cup - 51715 and recoil cup pin - 95000.
    I sometimes see gold plated Scout parts for sale on eBay. Also Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp. may have some. You can also find a schematic for the Scout on the web somewhere. If not, I would be happy to copy one that I have and sent it to you. If the mismatched colors don't bother you, I could also send you the parts you need.
    If it were mine, I would put the blue parts in and shoot the gun and hope to find the correct gold plated parts at some time in the future.

- -Bruce
    I suspect that my Uncle did take the gun out piece by piece, or used some reject parts. The gold plating is very warn off for a gun that has been sitting in a drawer for decades. Also, when you cock the trigger, it only has three stops, not four, as a colt should. There is no serial # in front of the trigger guard. Will have to figure out how to post pictures here.
    krag96 and WVCOLT like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4607 times
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us here.
    Colt-SL likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    581 times
    Howdy from N Texas and welcome to the community.
    " I've got 1 bullet and it's got your email address on it. Don't make me hit send."

Sponsored Links