cerakote a revolver?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: cerakote a revolver?

Member #
    Liked
    167 times

cerakote a revolver?

I've posted pics of my m1917 awhile back. the revolver has zero finish. I take it out and oil it often, the guns got alot of pits all over it, I dont want to buff it and lose any of the original stamps, but I was thinking of some kind of finish to protect the bare metal. So how does cerakote work? and of it's worth looking at, what's a color that's close to a factory finish? it seems sportsmanship warehouse charges $180 in a single color. jim

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Cerakote requires bead blasting , bad choice. I would get a jug of evaporust from harbor freight , it will remove the rust in the pits and leave the metal alone not changing the original textures. What was the original finish ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    12351 times
    The military sandblasted and phosphate coated them. Next best thing to original finish.
    dmthomp32 and 824tsv like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    no idea what the original finish was. it was actually bought in a bag of parts. it might have been dipped to remove the rust since its pitted all over, right now it's just smooth and shiny bare metal.20190602_083600.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    It looks like its already had some kind of blasting done.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    I hit it with some mothers mag wheel polish afterwards so it's pretty shiny. jim

Member #
    Liked
    776 times
    I think it is never going to get close to original so the closest you will get is the phosphate coating mentioned above (parkerizing). If you like cerakote, it is an option and some Colt pistols came from factory with it. Either way it does need some protection and cerakote will hide some of the pitting given the need for a media blast. Get what you like.

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    993 times
    IF....that'n were mine...I would parkerize it...then have it blued in black oxide finish. It will then be waterproof'd and have a charcoal matte finish. I have done this to many old shooters when I had my shop. I don't have any pics....but you would like it. jmho fwiw

Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    With any sort of a rough finish, sandblasted or parkerized, try coating it liberally with grease and let it sit in the sun on a hot summer's day. Let it get nice and hot. Then wipe the grease off and buff with a cloth. You may get a bit of grease leaching out but it'll be a pretty good protective coating. If you get a solvent on it, then re-apply as needed. It's worked for me over the years.

Member #
    Liked
    12351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmac View Post
    no idea what the original finish was. it was actually bought in a bag of parts. it might have been dipped to remove the rust since its pitted all over, right now it's just smooth and shiny bare metal.
    The original finish was a heat blue over a rough sanded finish. If refinished in the military it was sandblasted and given a phosphate/Parkerized finish. If Bubba refinished probably a hot caustic tank blue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links