• 2 Post By Absalom
  • 1 Post By Oyeboten
  • 1 Post By artyldr01

Thread: Early Colt D.A. .38 at Cabela's

Member #
    Liked
    42 times

Early Colt D.A. .38 at Cabela's

So, I was in a hurry and didn't get good photos. I don't know the nuances of the early Colt D.A. revolvers but I believe this to be an 1894? It is military marked R.A.C. I have to believe the grips are Reproductions though. It would seem to be a bit high $$$ for what it is. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5513 times
    It looks alright to my own glance...I think the Stocks are just unusually nice ( and not repro )...but they may be authentic if from a different New Army; they look a little narrow to the Grip Frame to me.

Price I will guess was not intended for a fast sale, but, it is not overly high either if Bore and Timing are first rate.

Careful cleaning and Oil up the moving parts, Wax the rest, it'd just glow I bet...it looks pretty good condition wise.

I want the little Colt under it though!

Is that a Pocket Positive? Or..?

...what a little cutie!

Which Cabalas is this?
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 01-06-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2530 times
    Yeah, that is a little cutie below it. I passed on one a while back and still have regrets about it, but the price was a might high I thought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5513 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krag96 View Post
    Yeah, that is a little cutie below it. I passed on one a while back and still have regrets about it, but the price was a might high I thought.
    I have a latter 'teens era 'Police Positive' ( in .38 New Police / .38 S&W ) someone long ago cut the Barrel to two inches re-installed the Front Sight, and modified the Grip Frame to be like the Pocket Positive and to accept Pocket Positive Stocks...it is very nice, and who-ever did the work, did a very fine job. Any COLT fan would do a 'double take', Huh-what? seeing it, Lol...and it looks really good this way too.
    krag96 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1877 times
    Does it look to anyone else like the third photo shows the entire bottom of the butt scrubbed of markings? Or is it just the lighting and the angle?

A “bare butt” would make the gun too expensive at any price, since the only complete serial should be there. It should also say which US Army model it is.
    Last edited by Absalom; 01-06-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    martin08, Kerz, Mikebiker and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    Grip condition in no way matches the dents, scratches and overall wearing of the metal. They are too nicely finished, with sharp cartouches, and are replacement for sure. And it the butt has been scrubbed, it is not highly collectible anymore.
    Kerz, Mikebiker and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1877 times
    Just got to my desktop and enlarged the pics a bit.

The Cabela's tag uses the 7593 as the SN, which indicates they used the assembly number off the crane cut and have no serial off the butt. At best, those are the last four digits of the serial; I'm not sure whether that started with the 1894 or the 1895 Navy contract.

The butt definitely looks scrubbed. Look at attached examples. Even on a legitimate early 4-digit serial, the stampings extend past the mid-way point and should be clearly visible at this angle.

Overall condition, if it had an intact butt and original stocks, would make this maybe a $500-600 gun. With a scrubbed butt, it's at least technically illegal, and while it isn't a big deal, as an FFL business I wouldn't be selling this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    martin08 and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5513 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    Does it look to anyone else like the third photo shows the entire bottom of the butt scrubbed of markings? Or is it just the lighting and the angle?

A “bare butt” would make the gun too expensive at any price, since the only complete serial should be there. It should also say which US Army model it is.
    Oh good gracious...

You are right!

Ugh, I sure blew that evaluation, eeeesh..!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 01-07-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2530 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Oh good gracious...

You are right!

Ugh, I sure blew that evaluation, eeeesh..!
    There's always that little cutie beside it...

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Sorry for the delay in responding. It is the Cabelas in Woodbury, MN. Thanks for the info, I feel a little better that my education/intuition is growing. I'll stop back tomorrow and look at the "cutie" and get more information for everyone!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    krag96 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links