Let’s see your Philippine Constabulary 1878s!
Like Tree43Likes
  • 7 Post By cda926
  • 5 Post By Hopalong
  • 3 Post By Hopalong
  • 5 Post By jbs4570
  • 5 Post By victorio1sw
  • 8 Post By RevoReno
  • 7 Post By Hopalong
  • 3 Post By DoubleAction.38

Thread: Let’s see your Philippine Constabulary 1878s!

Member #
    Liked
    3133 times

Let’s see your Philippine Constabulary 1878s!

Mine saw action in the movies after it got back with the Western Costume Company.

Best,
    Charles
    ei8ht, Art, deyomatic and 4 others like this.
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    This is an interesting one I sold a few years back. I'll have to go back and pull the serial number. This one was just outside the upper end of the commonly accepted serial number range for these guns.

Update: The serial number is 48354.

Last edited by Hopalong; 01-12-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    22_Matt, WVCOLT, cda926 and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    Here is the prior thread regarding the Philippine in the post above.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...hilippine.html
    WVCOLT, LEO918 and cda926 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    I'll throw this one in. Thanks, Joe

CR 1901 03.jpg
    A wise collector once told me that you never pay too much, it's just that you may buy a little early.
    (credit to thecoltguy)

Member #
    Liked
    2390 times
    This holster came with a mixed number re-blued Colt M1878 DA 45 x 6" U.S. gun. I am not sure about the age of this holster. The gun was junked out for parts, as I got no cyl or grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LEO918, Hopalong, cda926 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Very rare Colt Model of 1904. It is a variation of the Model 1902 Philippine. Only 51 were ever made. Only 7 are known to exist today. They do not have any military inspector markings and a very small U.S. stamp on the right side of the frame. I believe these are the only military shipped Colt's that were never marked by military inspectors. Don Wilkerson states in his book about Model 1878's that these revolvers are considered the Model of 1904 because one Model for Approval was sent to the Commanding Officer at Springfield Armory in December of 1903 and the fact that they also varied from standard military procedure as there are no inspector marks on them. A Model for Approval was typically sent when a change to the revolver had occurred and the military needed to approve that change. Perhaps the change was just leaving them un-marked. The order for 50 more revolvers was not sent until a year later in December of 1904. No one knows why they were ordered or what the change was in them, besides the lack of inspector markings. The listing for them in the Colt special order book does not tell why either.

I have been fortunate to own 4 of the 7 revolvers known to exist today. Consecutive serial numbers 51074 and 51075 still remain in my collection. 51058 and 51071 have found new homes. 51074 is unique in that it is the only known revolver to have a RAC stamp on the front trigger guard bow. The guard is numbered to the gun so that would indicate that Rinaldo A. Carr did inspect the revolver and must have accidentally put his stamp on the trigger guard. All other revolvers have the number "5" in that place on the trigger guard. The number "5" would indicate a Colt factory inspector.

The author of Blue Book of Gun Values Steve Fjestad and I had an ongoing debate as to whether or not this should be considered a unique model and designated as such. He and his collector sources said no, but Wilkerson believed it should be and so do I. Reason I feel that way is when any other Colt military models had any changes, a new model designation was assigned. As example, the Model 1892 Army had many changes that led to many model designations. Each 1892 model designation had a Model for Approval sent to the Commanding Officer at Springfield Armory just like this Model of 1904 did. Unfortunately, Steve passed away before we could resolve the issue and the listing in Blue Book has not changed.

51000-2.jpg51000.jpg51071 letter.jpg51074.jpg51075.jpg
    Last edited by RevoReno; 01-15-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    It's somewhat refreshing to see something that isn't Python-related these days.

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    Nothing fancy but here it is. SN 4498x
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cda926, 22_Matt and Hopalong like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links