1889 Colt Navy DA .38
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1889 Colt Navy DA .38

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

1889 Colt Navy DA .38

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I recently came in to possession of an antique 1889 Colt Navy DA .38 and was intrigued by it. I've read quite a bit about it on different forums, but I feel there is much more to learn. I think it one of the 300+ Colts that they Navy did not upgrade, and would appreciate any information that anybody could give me on it. As I said I'm new here, and would appreciate any help in navigating this forum, I'm not even sure how to post a picture! Thanks Ken

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1130 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Pics are nearly an absolute necessity.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/pho...oto-album.html

Vic
    MarkInTx likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2798 times
    Like Kerz said...pictures are necessary for anyone to give you accurate information on your gun.
    You might also post this in the Colt Revolvers sub-forum for additional info.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/
    Kerz likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8434 times
    You came to the right place.... one of our members literally wrote the standard reference book on the Colt New Army & Navy models.

Do a search using the search feature and you'll find a large amount of data.

Member #
    Liked
    2073 times
    You may want to scan through these photos of the Colt .38 DA's.
    https://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...to-thread.html

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    This is attempt No.1 at posting some pics, don't know if it worked!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

1889 Colt Navy DA .38

Hi, my first attempt at posting a pic, could you let me know if it worked or not?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi guys, I've been trying to respond to some of your suggestions about my 1889 Colt Navy .38 DA, but I can't seem to post any photos, any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RogSoDak and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1884 times
    The pictures in your last post work just fine.

From the butt stampings, I’d say it’s the real deal. Of the two obvious indicators of the upgrade, only the cylinder face is shown, and it confirms no upgrade since there is no triangle-S. The barrel patent marking isn’t visible, but I assume it ends in 1888 and not 95?

Neat acquisition. The gun has obviously accumulated some patina, but besides the missing rod knob looks in overall good shape for its vintage.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    It appears to be an unaltered Model 1889 Navy. It has no caliber mark on the barrel which indicates it still has the original barrel. There should be an assembly number on the bottom of the barrel that will match the assembly number on the latch and cylinder/crane/frame areas. The assembly numbers will not match the Navy registration number on the butt. According to Bob Best there were approximately 773 revolvers that were not upgraded by the Navy. The reason you see that only 300 were not upgraded is because the researchers did not take into account those revolvers that went to State Naval Militias who never sent them in for upgrade and just sold them off. The research focused on the main Navy order. I own Navy registration number 3906 and it is identical to your revolver. E-mail excerpt i received about my revolver from Bob is below.

B Best <
    To:coltda
    Mar 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Of the original 5000 gun contract only 373 were unaccounted for in converting them to model 1895 specs ... There were about 400 model 1889s ordered for the state naval militia units and most of the unmodified navy contract guns came from here in my opinion..
    RogSoDak likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links