letters stamped on a frame question. what do they mean?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    162 times

letters stamped on a frame question. what do they mean?

got to looking at my official police. aside from the serial number there is a U stamped under the serial number.
    on the frame under the left grip panel there is a E by the rebound lever pin a small x next to the E.
    the bar that goes on the bottom of the grip frame is a T and the cross bar just below the rebound lever there is a B. thanks. jim

Member #
    Liked
    12308 times
    Assuming that it is a pre-war, the U under the serial number is the identification of the Colt employee that assembled your OP. The other letters were applied as the machining and finish progressed.

There should also be a letter or number on the left side rear of the trigger guard, which was the identification of the Colt final inspector, who also applied the colt VP on the front left of the trigger guard.

Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    I was told the serial number puts it at 1943. I think it was 708666, off the top if my head. jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmac View Post
    I was told the serial number puts it at 1943. I think it was 708666, off the top if my head. jim
    That serial puts the gun‘s production in mid-1942, maybe June or so (+/-). Due to bad data from awhile back, most common references including the Colt online lookup are not correct for the war years.

In terms of features, any OP up to the shift to Commando production in late fall 1942 can be considered “pre-war“.
    Last edited by Absalom; 01-21-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    I ran into that with abold winchester rifle. I found one website that said the serial number dates it to 1909, then theres a link on the Winchester forum that puts it at 1911. jim

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1877 times
    I ran into that with abold winchester rifle. I found one website that said the serial number dates it to 1909, then theres a link on the Winchester forum that puts it at 1911. jim
    Fortunately, we don't have to rely on links and websites here. This forum has been around a long time and enough individually lettered guns have been presented here over the years, so we have fairly solid data from which to extrapolate actual times of manufacture and (less reliably) shipment.

Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    on my winchester, I was told the cody museum didnt have the information because it was my rifles serial number was too late in production. I would have loved to find out if it was really made as a 16 inch short carbine with the express sight. or if it was cut down and modified by some gunsmith years ago. jim

Member #
    Liked
    12308 times
    Is it a rifle or carbine? Either way, you should be able to tell if the forearm has been shortened as would be correct on a short rifle or carbine. The barrel band of the carbine or tenon for the fore end cap of the rifle will be set back approximately 1". Also virtually impossible to match the original fit of the forearm to the receiver.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    on my winchester, I was told the cody museum didnt have the information because it was my rifles serial number was too late in production. I would have loved to find out if it was really made as a 16 inch short carbine with the express sight. or if it was cut down and modified by some gunsmith years ago. jim
    The Cody museum has until the early '70's IIRC. What model of Winchester are we talking here?

Member #
    Liked
    12308 times
    The full Model 1892 serial number records only go to 379999. After that I believe they can only tell you what year it was made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links