Colt Police Positive Special with Dectecitve Special Barrel?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Colt Police Positive Special with Dectecitve Special Barrel?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times

Colt Police Positive Special with Dectecitve Special Barrel?

Hi there: I just bought a pistol that was sold as a Detective Special. I checked the serial number out (178XXX) and it listed 2 possibilities: 1) "1919 Police Positive Special"; or, 2) "1928 Police Positive .38 Caliber (not .38 Special 1-1/4" Cylinder Length)." The gun appears to have been reblued at some point. I don't believe the Seller was aware of all this and I don't believe I was taken ($400 out the door), so I'm not upset. I'd just like to know if you have any ideas what I've actually got here and who might have put it together. I'm rather new at this and I don't know much about either pistol (Police Positive or Detective Special). BTW, the barrel text reads ".38 Detective Special." Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

.DS.2.jpgDS.1.jpgDS.4.jpgDS.5.jpg
    Last edited by mk45; 01-23-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    824tsv and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    839 times
    It's hard to positively tell from photos taken at angles, but it looks like a Police Positive (the 1928 one) with a Detective Special barrel. A good straight side view would help in verifying what it ts.
    Last edited by up196; 01-23-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Absalom likes this.

Capable of using typewriter if necessary. - "Jerry" Campbell, 1934

I don't have the time for multi-tasking, I'm too busy doing a bunch of other things.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    936 times
    I believe some of the first DS actually letter as PPS. They are highly sought after, this may be one. I never collected D frames so I don’t know for sure. Cam or Russ will be along soon to tell you exactly what you have.
    krag96 likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5637 times
    My first thought was that you might have one of the "Pre-Detective Specials" but your serial number is WAY too early. Most of the models I've seen are in the 336xxx to 345xxx range. You most likely have a very early Police Positive Special or Police Positive frame with a early Detective Special barrel (with no address line on the right side of the barrel).
    Last edited by snakeman99; 01-23-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    krag96 likes this.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1535 times
    Will a 38 special fit in the chamber?
    krag96 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3079 times
    You appear to have a 38 police positive in .38 new police (.38 S&W) with a Detective Special barrel made for .38 special. The cylinder looks too short to hold a .38 special. The diameter of the .38NP is larger than a .38special barrel you have. Have a gunsmith inspect it.
    oberon, krag96, Absalom and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    It’s hard to tell the cylinder length because of the angles of your photos. The PPSpl cylinder is 1/4” longer than the PP. I believe it’s about 1-3/4” but without measuring one I cannot be certain.
    Absalom and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Looking at your photos again, it looks like a DS barrel may have been put on a PPSpl frame. The pre-Detective Special came out about 1928 but did not has Detective Special on the barrel.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Correction. The PreDS first appeared in 1926 by 1928 they had transitioned to Detective Special on the barrel. Also PP cylinder is about 1.3” & the PPS cylinder 1.56”.
    phyllis1 and krag96 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1885 times
    Looking at the short frame in front of the trigger guard, where the “stretch” of the PP Special is most obvious, I would indeed think this is a PP, not a Special, frame and cylinder, with a Special barrel. To echo the others, a straight-on side view will make it obvious.
    krag96 and Hootch56 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links