Colt Forum banner

What t.v. Shows used colt DA revolvers?

6K views 57 replies 35 participants last post by  oldcoltheart75 
#1 ·
Dragnet? Hawaii 5.0? Kojack? I wasn’t looking for colt DA guns on tv before but I am now. Plus tv of yesteryear were so much better than junk today

#36 ·
In "Spencer For Hire" and "A Man Called Hawk"...Avery Brooks carried a Python...I believe with a 6" barrel.

#37 ·
Some famous director in Hollywood said in an interview that when the movie and TV makers wanted a very impressive gun they usually picked a nickel plated 6" or 8 inch Python.

A good number of them appeared in movies and TV shows in the 70's and 80's.
Just one I remember was "Sharkey's Machine" staring Burt Reynolds. A bad guy used an 8 inch bright nickel Python in a wild shoot-out.

#38 ·
Don Johnson also used a 6" Python in the movie "Dead-Bang". He plays a real-life LAPD detective. It's rarely shown but it's an interesting movie.

Movie Poster Album cover Action film

#42 ·
My memory isn't what it used to be, but. I always had a crush on Anne Francis from "Forbidden Planet" on. In "Honey West" I seem to recall she carried a Colt Cobra; I know she drove a Cobra convertible. I may be mistaken on the gun. In "Sharky's Machine" a bad guy killed a bus driver with a Diamondback. And who doesn't remember Lee Marvin in "Point Blank" with his (not a Colt, but...) 4" M29.

#43 ·
"Brannigan"...Duke with a Diamondback.

#46 · (Edited)
Frank Cannon carried a DS and routinely made, shall we say, "impossibly effective" use of it. But then again, if I had my own personal firing range inside my high-rise apartment may be I would really be that good, so who knows. The following scene from an episode I just watched is typical:

1. Professional killer on a hill with a scoped bolt action rifle fires at Cannon's car on the highway. It goes off the road and crashes.
  2. Shooter continues firing at the car, which explodes (naturally), but not before Cannon and the woman with him hop out in the nick of time and take cover in a ditch.
  3. Shooter makes his way down the hill, firing at Cannon and missing every time (insert joke here).
  4. Cannon, using the ditch as cover, pulls out his detective special, aims, fires once, and takes the guy out at about 50 yards.

The entire scene above happens in the last 30 seconds of the episode. My wife couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard the entire time.

#49 ·
I think the gun used changed when the series went from being filmed in black & white to color.

#50 ·
Cannon did have some interesting "gun stuff".

In one episode a man who was "Practicing for the National Match" committed a murder by shooting a man at VERY long range, using his "National Match" bolt action rifle, fired while he was flying a helicopter.

In another a criminal is escaping in his airplane... until Cannon picked up a Browning .50 caliber M2 machine gun, and holding it at his waist, shoots it down.

For whatever reason, Hollywood movies and TV predominately used Colt revolvers back in the day. You seldom ever saw a S&W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.