Colt New Service cylinder tight/binding...SUCCESS!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Colt New Service cylinder tight/binding...SUCCESS!!

Member #
    Liked
    100 times

Colt New Service cylinder tight/binding...SUCCESS!!

I have a pretty nice Colt NS that I picked up a couple of years back. 4 1/2" in .455 Eley with Brit commercial proofs. Built in 1915. However somebody bored the cylinder out for .45 Colt. They did not shave it. When I got it, it functioned fine, dry fired etc. I finally got it to the range this fall....long story there. It shot fine, no issues. I used some cowboy type loads on it. Remington factory. It all seemed fine after the range trip. However today when I picked it up to fiddle with it, the cylinder was extremely tight. In fact it was difficult to dry fire it. I have squirted a bunch of penetrating oil in it but so far no changes. The ejector rod seems to be fine, pushs out fine. However when you push on the ejector rod, the cylinder does not have that slight push back that my other new service has. I can move the cylinder backwards that 1/32 or so of an inch but it is tough.

EDIT> SUCCESS!! I used this video and the trick he showed with the moon clips to strip it down. The shaft for the cylinder was just covered in hard junk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul02YRomc0k

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by fireman; Yesterday at 03:41 AM.

DJC

Member #
    Liked
    611 times
    My first thought was that you have powder residue between the star and the cylinder. You probably checked that but id does sound like you have something else going on. Sure hope it is simple.

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    18877 times
    You might try taking the crane and cylinder out and soaking it in an empty can (Soup Can) with cleaner in it. That may loosen it up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10610 times
    This is where 'WD-40' has it's uses (yeah, I know...) - being a lot like pressurized kerosene.

Use the little red tube to direct the spray, and hose out everything - let drip, then do it again.

Blow dry with air if you can - the keyboard cleaner works pretty well for this - then try.

You'll be surprised how smooth it can be, once all of the detritus has been dissolved away.

Follow all of that with a normal lube like 'Break-Free'.
    sublimert70 and Muley Gil like this.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Thanks guys for the tips. I think I will do both. I will let it soak for a day and then blow it out.

I have some "shotgun cleaner" from Remington. I think it's like Gun Scrub? I would guess that would work well for cleaning it out?

Member #
    Liked
    7196 times
    Watch out you don't spray any gun scrubber/carb cleaner on hard rubber grips. It messes them up.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    Watch out you don't spray any gun scrubber/carb cleaner on hard rubber grips. It messes them up.
    Thanks for the tip...I've pulled off the grips. They are wood but better safe than sorry.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    I have made good experience with Kroil oil. It realy creeps into and loosens up.
    lawdog2831 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    I sprayed it hard with a gunscrub type product. I then blasted it with penetrating oil and let it soak. No luck. I repeated that several times. No luck I have since blasted it with WD40...nope. In fact it is stiffer now because I did the WD40 out in the shop and I think the cold has stiffed it up even worse. I think I will use a heat gun and get it fairly warm and see if that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    2752 times
    Sounds like you might want to remove the cylinder from the crane and remove the cylinder star with ejector rod. Clean everything and lube. If your not comfortable with the strip then take it to a gunsmith and talk it over. I assume that the colt's action functions like it should?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links