Old colt ID help.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 73shovel
  • 1 Post By 73shovel
  • 1 Post By oberon
  • 1 Post By Absalom

Thread: Old colt ID help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times

    Old colt ID help.

    Hey guys, I recently inherited an old colt revolver. From what I can find it is a civilian model, but all the ones I am finding have the old hardened black rubber grips. If you guys have any other information on the actual year it was made, what it actually is, or what it's worth it would help a lot. I don't intend on selling it, just to curb my curiosity. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    3964
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,854
    Liked
    3505 times
    1892 New Army or New Navy.
    Last edited by 73shovel; 02-27-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    oberon likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Member #
    18547
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,771
    Liked
    10720 times
    'Catlinite' grips - common replacements.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    3964
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,854
    Liked
    3505 times
    A pair of original New Army grips.

    1747.JPG 1748.JPG 1752.JPG
    Last edited by 73shovel; 02-27-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    Hootch56 likes this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    22708
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6,132
    Liked
    17113 times
    Notice the high polish and brilliant blue still showing in the cylinder flutes. The whole gun used to look like that!

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

  7. #6
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22270
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,519
    Liked
    1926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenmorgen1 View Post
    ... If you guys have any other information on the actual year it was made, what it actually is, or what it's worth .....
    As said above, it is a commercial New Army or Navy. The only obvious difference was the style of hard rubber stocks.

    The serial places production in 1903.

    As for value, it looks original but very rough all around, and the non-military variant doesn’t get a lot of collector love. A wild guess might put it around 300 at most.

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    12593
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern ME
    Posts
    5,284
    Liked
    9916 times
    Mine is way rougher than that thing, but it still shoots even with a sketchy ratchet pawl spring.


    I snagged it about a day before it was going to be parted out. $100 OTD.
    73shovel likes this.

  9. #8
    Junior Member

    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenmorgen1 View Post
    ... If you guys have any other information on the actual year it was made, what it actually is, or what it's worth .....
    As said above, it is a commercial New Army or Navy. The only obvious difference was the style of hard rubber stocks.

    The serial places production in 1903.

    As for value, it looks original but very rough all around, and the non-military variant doesn’t get a lot of collector love. A wild guess might put it around 300 at most.
    Lol Yeah, it is pretty rough I can't even get the cylinder to open up. So, how could I tell wether it is a New Army or a New Navy?

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Mine is way rougher than that thing, but it still shoots even with a sketchy ratchet pawl spring.


    I snagged it about a day before it was going to be parted out. $100 OTD.
    I wish I could shoot this one but I'm not sure how to unfreeze the cylinder release.

  11. #10
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22270
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,519
    Liked
    1926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenmorgen1 View Post
    Lol Yeah, it is pretty rough I can't even get the cylinder to open up. So, how could I tell wether it is a New Army or a New Navy?
    My value assumed basic mechanical functionality. Without that, well, historical paperweight, or whatever some tinkerer might be willing to pay for a project gun.

    Referencing Bob Best, if it’s a New Navy, there should be a small N stamped below the assembly number in the crane cutout of the frame (readable when you get the cylinder swung out).
    Rick Bowles likes this.


 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.