Colt Cobra First Issue Nickel -Questions
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Colt Cobra First Issue Nickel -Questions

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Question Colt Cobra First Issue Nickel -Questions

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I am enjoying reading years worth of good advice and interesting stories.

I recently purchased a Colt Cobra made in 1969. It is unfired and has no box. There is a blemish on the Nickel right behind the cylinder.

I have several questions if you wouldn't mind sharing your wisdom and experience:

1) Is the blemish repairable, will Colt re-nickel it or repair it? If so, will they provide some sort of Colt documentation on their work?

2) Should my perspective be to make it a collectable safe queen or does the absence of a box and the blemish make it something I should enjoy owning and shooting with no guilt.

3) I paid $750.00 and I feel good about that price. How was I on the over/under?

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rasselin; 03-25-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    WVCOLT and Jackson like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1245 times
    Welcome to the forum!

The cost of refinishing would be prohibitive in my opinion. Plus you now have a refinished gun and thus not original.
    I would shoot, carry and enjoy. A good friend (ret KSP det) carries his Detective Spl on occasion for a bit of nostalgia aka old school.
    Check the completed
    gun acution sites for an index of current market value. To me, $750 is a little more than I would care to invest.
    Vic
    Last edited by Kerz; 03-25-2020 at 03:26 AM.
    WVCOLT likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4760 times
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here.
    ei8ht likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Great looking gun. I also would advise not to refinish it. $750 might have been a little high for me, but I have paid too much before for guns that I really wanted. I would shoot it but limit the amount of Plus P ammo in it. Shoot all the standard loads you want and it should be fine.
    Kerz likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24692 times
    Welcome to the Colt Forum. Sometimes you can buff out a light scratch. This one looks pretty deep.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCOLT View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here.
    Thank you for New Mexico!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swag01 View Post
    Great looking gun. I also would advise not to refinish it. $750 might have been a little high for me, but I have paid too much before for guns that I really wanted. I would shoot it but limit the amount of Plus P ammo in it. Shoot all the standard loads you want and it should be fine.
    Thank you Swag01. I am going to keep it and shoot it.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerz View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The cost of refinishing would be prohibitive in my opinion. Plus you now have a refinished gun and thus not original.
    I would shoot, carry and enjoy. A good friend (ret KSP det) carries his Detective Spl on occasion for a bit of nostalgia aka old school.
    Check the completed
    gun acution sites for an index of current market value. To me, $750 is a little more than I would care to invest.
    Vic
    Thank you Kerz, I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. I thought I might be $50-$75 high on the purchase price and I kicked it around for a couple of days. Then, over a glass of small batch bourbon, the thought hit me: Having a classic revolver, that was fit and finished by hand, and shares my 51 years of life, for about the price of crappy AK47, which I get to consummate with my trigger finger, is the right thing to do. So I did.
    sublimert70 and mentallapse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    415 times
    Yours is a 1st issue Cobra. Second issue began in 1973 and had the barrel shroud and other changes.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeguy View Post
    Yours is a 1st issue Cobra. Second issue began in 1973 and had the barrel shroud and other changes.
    Thank you, Snakeguy. I stand corrected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links